WW2 Entrenchment after Battle

Karthogen
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: MMC Aug/Spt Outpost - WW2 Entrenchment after Battle

Post by Karthogen »

Can't wait to see how you put it all together. If you find a better way for terrain, let me know, that is one thing I could use some help with to.
theuns
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: MMC Aug/Spt Outpost - WW2 Entrenchment after B

Post by theuns »

this is what i meant with the hex mesh...

create a copy of you object (my green sphere) and make it bigger, then paint it with "hex mesh" shader material and you get something like this...
Attachments
hex mesh_.jpg
theuns - tSer since 2000
.:| http://theunsfvo.cgarena.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
.:| http://bluestarcreations.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Thanks Theuns I tried it, don't reach a good result, but if I put it far maybe looks good ;)
Here is the test.
Attachments
hel_p3.jpg
hel_p3.jpg (64.53 KiB) Viewed 4974 times
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
theuns
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: MMC Aug/Spt Outpost - WW2 Entrenchment after B

Post by theuns »

did you apply a UV map or something?

it is a quick and dirty trick and won't look good close up... here is how i used it, definitely not close range...
Attachments
MMC0808 Castle - FINAL large balloon_low.jpg
Cliff colony WIP7 cargo net_.jpg
theuns - tSer since 2000
.:| http://theunsfvo.cgarena.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
.:| http://bluestarcreations.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

leonregis wrote:Now I'm doing the grenade, but before it I already have a grenade but is in cartoon style so I think that I'll need to do it again.
With regards your grenade model, its suitability really depends on where it is going to be placed in your scene. If it is a hero model then I would suggest either remodelling it or starting anew. If you are going to remodel it in to something more realistic, as with all 3D modelling, you need to understand how/why the real thing is constructed. The model/era of grenade you are looking for is the old chunky design, nicknamed the pineapple due to its close resemblance to the fruit. In WWII, the USA used the Mk 2 and Great Britain used the G36 both of which you can see in the image below. These grenades were designed to kill, as opposed to today's modern grenades like the L2 that are only designed to maim (the theory being it places a larger burden on the enemy force if you make them look after their wounded than it does if you kill their soldiers outright). With lethality in mind, the Mk 2/G36 variant of grenade was designed in such away that the inside of the outer casing was pre-etched so that when the grenade exploded, it would split the steel casing into squarish chunks. I have indicated this etch line with a red line on the image (obviously, the etching would transverse the entire case). These pre-determined exploding chunks would have razor sharp edges and their wedge shaped design was to ensure that the pieces would tumble at a tremendous velocity as they passed through the air and thus gouge deep tears into any exposed flesh and clothing with consummate ease.

With all this information in mind, if you now look back at your original 3D model, perhaps you will begin to see it looks a little toy-like, as opposed to the brutally designed grenades that were born out of that era. HTH.
Grenade Design.jpg
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

The simplest method for your helmet is to use the umwrapper projection and wrapped grid in the transparency shader. Before You need to erase all the face at the bottom of the helmet to avoid a closed object. Adjust setting for the grid and use transparent shadow.
Think simple to do better. :)
Attachments
test.jpg
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

I've been away loving the OurSpace and learning Yafaray, now I came back to this WIP, I really need to finish it!!! I just given up the rope around the helmet, to difficult and the helmet is good right now, just need some details like garand. I'll focus now the terrain, that looks to be the most difficult part. I also need to know what I will use as illumination and post process, like if will be black and white and will be at the dusk and with fog, things like that...

Anyway for now I'll need to do Prodigy's grass in some areas of the terrain and will discover how to do mud and put mud at the weapons, helmets. I also need to do the uniform! So many things :?

Breech, thanks for the explanation, I also have knowledge about WW2 grenades, thanks for show the grenades (looks like of the Day of Defeat ^^) anyway you modeled it, right? So I just want to know which process you used, booleans? Organic Modeling? Please... I had some troubles to create that cartoon grenade, so to create a realistic one will be terrible without some tips :)

Thanks for all...

Marcel: I did it but didn't worked, and the helmet shape hinders the spherical UV projection...
Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

I didn't make the model, I just used those images to illustrate my point. If I were to model a grenade however, I would just start with a 6 sided cube, sweep up 5 times and then just apply the bevel and fillet tools to the faces. HTH.
nigec

Post by nigec »

here's a quickie one I used the lathe tool to get the shape
Attachments
quicky.jpg
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Well, I've been away, doing homeworks :lol:
Found some time to make the new grenade (tell me what you think). Bevel Tool ROCKZ :bananacool2:
It's really poorly textured (need some scratches, rust, dirty and metal textures), here is:
gre_p3.jpg
gre_p3.jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
Now I'll start the bullets (you will see a lot in the scene), will be a fast work... Then the cloths, I even don't know if I have enough experience to do a good WW2 uniform, but let's see :)

Here is an unfinished gun that I'm doing parallel to the grenade...
tom_p1.jpg
Cya

PS: Thanks Breech and Nigec!