The good old Truespace 1

A place where have some extra fun..
Prodigy
Site Admin
Type the number ten into the box: 0

The good old Truespace 1

Post by Prodigy »

Hi folks! I found this on YouTube. Hope Roman and his family are still okay!
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
Finis
Captain

Re: The good old Truespace 1

Post by Finis »

Prodigy is here! :bananaclaus:
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Now I understand how I ruined my eyes 8-)
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

that is cool... seems like wife (?) of Libor Stolc, the plugin maker and friend of Roman. She was a lot into 3D it seems. There is bunch of videos showing Libor's tS plugins.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

I found this on the internet posted by Harrison. I too had an Amiga 1000 and used "Caligari" before it became "trueSpace"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caligari and Truespace
Who remembers the 3D program Caligari on the Amiga?

In 1985 Roman Ormandy purchased an Amiga 1000 at the Siggraph '85 conference in San Francisco and began work on his vision for a 3D package. Forming the company Octree and previewing his new 3D application Caligari just a year later at the Siggraph '86 conference, finally being released in 1988 as Caligari1.

Roman had a vision to create a 3D package that allowed the user to directly manipulate 3D objects within the user interface, instead of trying to construct and manipulate them in a commandline, as had been the case up until that point. For this reason Caligari was quite a revolutionary 3D application at the time.

Caligari continued to be developed on the Amiga over the years with newer and higher end versions released, such as Caligari Broadcast in 1991, and Caligari24 in 1992, which included advanced features for the time such as 32bit colour, organic deformations and further improvements in the perspective based interface.

Caligari was one of the first 3D programs I used on the Amiga and the one that really got me interested in 3D. Quite confusing to use compared to today's 3D applications, it required me to print out the manual just to get started!

However by 1992 it was becoming clear to Roman that the future standard OS would become Microsoft Windows, so he decided to start work on the successor to Caligari. In 1993 Octree changed its name to Caligari Corporation to retain the legacy of the Amiga application, and in 1994 the PC's successor to Caligari was born, Truespace!

I've been using Truespace off and on for years and it has always been a very easy 3D application to use. Most people can pick it up and create something without too much hassle. It has however remained as an entry level 3D application, generally viewed as one for home and student users, or those only needing less complicated 3D solutions.

The last commercial version of Truespace, version 7.5, was released in 2007 and it received good reviews. However a year later Microsoft purchased Caligari, allowing them to release Truespace 7.6 for free. There were rumours that Microsoft purchased Caligari so that Truespace and its technology could be utilised in new and future products.

However this has all now come to an end. Microsoft recently re-evaluated their portfolio of projects and properties, and have now closed down Caligari, making everyone except for Roman Ormandy redundant. So ending another part of the Amiga's history.
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by borgcone »

As someone also has written somewhere, it is clear that the cutest design concept were completed in the very early days. Even though it evolved little by little, it never wavered from its core and has been passed down to the latest version. :bananathumb:
borgcone ... or 3DfromNULL at https://biglode.com/ptsxpy