Workspace Dimensions

trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Workspace Dimensions

Post by trueBlue »

Found a couple of errors

ERR Source object: ScaleByChange
Line: 42, Char: 1 Script text: var parent = Node.LinkedInputNode(firstSel, "OwnerMatrix", 0);

ERR Source object: ScaleByChangeOne
Line: 48, Char: 1 Script text: var parent = Node.LinkedInputNode(firstSel, "OwnerMatrix", 0);

Both scripts do not have Default values
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 21:11 Found a couple of errors

Line: 42, Char: 1 Script text: var parent = Node.LinkedInputNode(firstSel, "OwnerMatrix", 0);

Line: 48, Char: 1 Script text: var parent = Node.LinkedInputNode(firstSel, "OwnerMatrix", 0);

:?:
What is the error? What default value is needed? How to reproduce the error?
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

clintonman wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 21:46

Not sure what happened, it is working now without errors
Off subject
After using the Default settings for a while, View & Lying, I think it is better to use Dimension & Standing
Using View & Lying in Perspective, is not as consistent
The Text angles can be crazy!
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 22:32

Off subject
After using the Default settings for a while, View & Lying, I think it is better to use Dimension & Standing
StandingIsWorse.jpg
Cannot see standing + view at all, text not facing me.

View or standing makes no difference. They are equally consistent or inconsistent depending only on where the view is looking. It's the reason the text is selected after a dimension is created. In my testing if it was standing it would mostly be facing away from my eye. Standing would not be in improvement from my perspective.

How did you get standing plus view to even work?
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

clintonman wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 22:55

Off subject
StandingIsWorse.jpg

View or standing makes no difference. They are equally consistent or inconsistent depending only on where the view is looking. It's the reason the text is selected after a dimension is created. In my testing if it was standing it would mostly be facing away from my eye. Standing would not be in improvement from my perspective.

I see. I did not try Standing & View
If you select Normalize Rotation, after, it works
Would it be possible to add Normalize Rotation when using Standing & View?
I have been testing Dimension & Standing and it seems to be more consistent with Ortho Views too
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 00:26

Off subject
StandingIsWorse.jpg

I have been testing Dimension & Standing and it seems to be more consistent with Ortho Views too
Ah, I misunderstood what you were saying.
Dimension & Standing, I'm not seeing consistent improvement. Vertical dimension not good, If looking down or ortho top view is not good, angle on horizontal plane not good. ortho front/back/sides depends on the view, so good and bad. 3d eye down low looks good. normalize rotation improves some and makes others worse. When I say "good" and "bad" I mean most of the time, neither is 100% better in all cases.
Like I said before it all depends on where you are looking from, but you do make a good case for having it as an option. Standing up is better if the eye point isn't too high and lying is more consistent with a top down plan view. I won't bother with the normalize though, since it randomly makes things better or worse. The only case that was almost 100% bad was when I misread and thought you were talking about View and Standing.
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

clintonman wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 01:36
StandingIsWorse.jpg

Dimension & Standing, I'm not seeing consistent improvement. Vertical dimension not good, If looking down or ortho top view is not good, angle on horizontal plane not good. ortho front/back/sides depends on the view, so good and bad. 3d eye down low looks good. normalize rotation improves some and makes others worse. When I say "good" and "bad" I mean most of the time, neither is 100% better in all cases.
Like I said before it all depends on where you are looking from, but you do make a good case for having it as an option. Standing up is better if the eye point isn't too high and lying is more consistent with a top down plan view. I won't bother with the normalize though, since it randomly makes things better or worse. The only case that was almost 100% bad was when I misread and thought you were talking about View and Standing.
Thanks, I see what you mean
I am just exploring and testing different scenarios
Was thinking of a way to run Normalize Rotation with a button from your panel or toolbar button, not necessarily incorporated in your code

I think those errors with those scripts, that I reported, needs a check for proper selection
I remember I had the Object selected
Maybe those scripts did not like the value I had, like 3.14
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 02:09
clintonman wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 01:36
Thanks, I see what you mean
I am just exploring and testing different scenarios
Was thinking of a way to run Normalize Rotation with a button from your panel or toolbar button, not necessarily incorporated in your code

I think those errors with those scripts, that I reported, needs a check for proper selection
I remember I had the Object selected
Maybe those scripts did not like the value I had, like 3.14
My testing indicated normalize rotation will randomly make it better or make it worse. That would be a bad description for the button, "Normalize - do you feel lucky?"
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

Here's a copy of the changes including all the changes you made.

remove button highlight from all 6 GetDimPoints nodes
remove status message checkbox from 3 nodes inside GetDimPoints
de-export the DimLinear, DimAngle and DimText ORA exported panel
remove all connectors except Matrix conns from DimLinear, DimAngle and DimText - DimText kept Material List conn, hard to see color on selected item in the 3d view
utility toggletextgraphic - choose first text explicitly if not a valid dimension
note line 344 added (...) before || to fix the logic for the case where there is no valid dimension to default toggle to

Code: Select all

//select first
	if(firstSel == (scene && Node.Exists(sceneMeasureGroup)) || Node.Exists(objectMeasureGroup)) {
added text orient setting/control - Lying, Standing
creating a new dimension in view mode will always have Lying orientation

Generally, if your view point is high, use the Lying orientation and if it is lower use the Standing orientation
Attachments
Dimensions.RsObj
(463.15 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

clintonman wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 04:27 Here's a copy of the changes including all the changes you made.

remove button highlight from all 6 GetDimPoints nodes
remove status message checkbox from 3 nodes inside GetDimPoints
de-export the DimLinear, DimAngle and DimText ORA exported panel
remove all connectors except Matrix conns from DimLinear, DimAngle and DimText - DimText kept Material List conn, hard to see color on selected item in the 3d view
utility toggletextgraphic - choose first text explicitly if not a valid dimension
note line 344 added (...) before || to fix the logic for the case where there is no valid dimension to default toggle to

Code: Select all

//select first
	if(firstSel == (scene && Node.Exists(sceneMeasureGroup)) || Node.Exists(objectMeasureGroup)) {
added text orient setting/control - Lying, Standing
creating a new dimension in view mode will always have Lying orientation

Generally, if your view point is high, use the Lying orientation and if it is lower use the Standing orientation
Thanks!
Not sure if this was present in the previous version
Notice a double line in an Angel
Angle.png
Also, a ghost widget appears when creating Angles

Also, notice a Parenting status message now that you removed the "status message checkbox from 3 nodes inside GetDimPoints"