trueServe - brief instructions on environment configuration

Start here all your tutorials for Truespace Worskpace Side.
froo
Captain

Re: trueServe - brief instructions on environment configuration

Post by froo »

I am very happy to help Booxie! :bananacheers:
BooxieMalone
Chief Petty Officer

Re: brief instructions - NEW 2-POINTS-CHECKLIST

Post by BooxieMalone »

Hi folks,

this might be of interest for all potential (true)Server owners!

Today I did a few tests to find out the absolute least essentials for a working internet connected trueServe (in XP environment) - I used only one tS Scene (complies to 1 Port).

And I found out some really interesting things I didn't expect that way. The results were really amazing even to me, 'cause I rather know quite well what I'm doing here:

What I did in my test-szenario - one by one documentation:

1) Cleaned up a bit before starting tests:
Router: Closed every port except the port 1109 (nothing else open - rechecked twice)
Server: Deleted every settings in Windows Security Center Firewall, "don't allow exceptions" tab unchecked (it is the first tab - means, allow exceptions of the next tab)
and deleted all trueServe related application entries in "Exceptions" tab
Antivirus Firewall - set it to "high security"
(usually it would not be possible to get any connection to this server anymore!)

2) Started trueServe - intentionally didn't allow unblocking of trueServe!
Created a TestSpace from scratch in "Space3D" node (no other settings done at all)
Opened TestSpace and threw in a few objects (ready after 1 minute from trueServe start)

3) Started TruePlay - intentionally didn't allow unblocking of truePlay!
Tried to connect to the local address - no success (that's what I had expected)

4) Now I thought, not to allow any of the whole applications, but really only 1 single port
(for security matters, it is better to lock as much as possible)
So I opened (means allowed) only the single port 1109-UDP for my local server address.
(compare page 8-12, 9-12, 10-12 of my brief instructions)

Results:
5) Tried to login from truePlay locally - works!!! Got connected in my scene!
6) Checked my current public IP and tried to connect externally with that - works!!!
7) As a reverse test I locked the router port and tried again externally - no success
(that's what I had expected)
8) Reopened the router port - works again!!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

>>> SUMMARY:

Empirically I have confirmed for XP: There are indeed only two conditions to meet!

2-POINTS-CHECKLIST
1) ROUTER Port 1109 allowed, assigned to the local Server IP
2) Windows Security Firewall Port 1109 allowed (created an entry for TestSpace), assigned to the local Server IP

(It is NOT necessary at all, to allow unblocking any of the whole applications!)

________________________________________________________________________________________

In the end I don't know, how trueServe handles this exactly and how it is done to override my Antivirus Firewall (maybe some other Firewalls cannot be overriden?). But after a few system restarts I'm absolutely sure, that there are no old or hidden settings still open. I closed trueServe at least 3 times between the tests with an adjacent complete cold reset of the machine at a time.

So again one more time, I don't understand why some problems, which were reported here, do arise. As this case shows to me - without having had any experience with trueServe before - this is IMO by far the easiest server application I ever happend to handle.

Regards, HTH
-BM.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Nice Booxie! Good job!

Froo
BooxieMalone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by BooxieMalone »

Thanks froo, you're welcome - the more I think of my findings, the more I get really seriously objections upon security matters. I think we should think about authorization (which certainly is not to post publicly here), that should be something to be solved soon ...

Bye
-BM.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Hi Booxie.
configuring authorization is straightforward.
username/password, and access rights are stored in an excel spreadsheet.
That's in the trueserve manual.
I had it working before my drive crashed, and need to get it setup again.
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

More importantly you should setup the Authorize Server attribute in the Network Management Node!
Just enter the path to your Admin.xls file.
I setup my own unique Key for this and this is a seperate xls file.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (4.69 KiB) Viewed 5226 times
3dvisuals dude
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by 3dvisuals dude »

Thanks tB.

The built-in security layer in trueServe is robust enough for most situations I agree, but we are not limited to just that either.

We can, for just one example, create a server-side script which activates a com event utilizing RPC to control additional aspects of client access, for instance limiting the users of a particular server to truePlay ONLY access, but there are a great many ways that can be used beyond this one example.

Unity3D in their preliminary explanation of various aspects which they employ in server network hosting cover this aspect a bit here:

http://unity3d.com/support/documentatio ... tails.html

Note that in our case we are not limited to the use of scripts in trueServe to accomplish such tasks, we can run a software gauntlet we design to meet any needs we may have through the use of com, dll, and rpc calls initiated outside rosetta or called from within.

Also I think for the sake of others considering hosting their own trueServer/OurSpace, it may be a good idea for us all to try and keep this particular security aspect of trueServe discussion alive and easily found by others in the following thread:

http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... f=47&t=940
Image "Advantage is had from whatever is there, but usefulness arises from whatever is not." - Lao Tzu (Tao Te Ching - 500 BC) Image
BooxieMalone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by BooxieMalone »

Thanks Froo & trueBlue for your tips - I'll have to check & understand how this is working ... :?
Thanks 3DVD for taking over this very important topic to an extra dedicated thread. :worship:

-BM.
BooxieMalone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by BooxieMalone »

Hi freshly-baked server owners,

this might be of interest for you, when having set up a trueServe server at your home. You might want to know, how "to get rid of" the temporary changing public IP-address, which is assigned to your router everytime your router dials in at your ISP.

In effect you can't avoid this system without investing money. But here comes in one of the cheap solutions for solving the problem - a free subdomain:

Register a Free Dynamic DNS (Dynamic DomainNameService) at http://www.dynDNS.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Service: Every newly assigned IP will be updated at the domain name server lists automatically, so your server keeps reachable for everyone, only by knowing your host name (subdomainname & portnumber).

Read how this works & how to register a subdomain of dyndns.org in the thread below:
http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... 9500#p9500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-BM.
LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Thanks BM, I'm just with so many anger! I can't find time to set up (using your tutorial) my server... Just now I have to study to two tests... :evil: :evil:

But, many thanks!!!! :worship:
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi