Legacy tS 6.6
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

reliable way to run any old trueSpace

Post by bitkar »

check this out: https://www.pcem-emulator.co.uk/

video review: https://youtu.be/mWEE2RJj3YI

Point is that this software emulates the whole PC hardware incl. BIOS, not just the OS. So you can run very old software like you used to.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: reliable way to run any old trueSpace

Post by Emmanuel »

I noticed that on my i7 5820-K, some Lightworks renders using HDRI are slower than on an old i7 920 system, with same Windows 8.1 OS
It is because new i7 are optimized for multi-threading while trueSpace's Lightworks was not optimized for multi-threading ; in fact, trueSpace's Lightworks render engine handles multi-threading at rendering but NOT during pre-rendering process when it computes shadows.

So any solution to emulate the behavior of some CPU may sound interesting. I will give it a try. :bananacheers:
Engelskrieger79
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by Engelskrieger79 »

Did it work?
SP.
Seaman Recruit
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by SP. »

I can run Truespace 1.04 with https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/releases/tag/v0.8.0 directly on my Windows 10 computer. This also works great for many other old 16 bit applications.

The advantage is that you don't need a beefy computer to run a PC emulator or virtual machine.
Saul
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Saul »

Erm, why would you want to run trueSpace 1.04 when you got trueSpace 7.61?
SP.
Seaman Recruit

Post by SP. »

Because it's fun and nostalgic. Why not? :mrgreen:

Truespace 1 was my first "real" 3D application because it became freeware. Before that I used some Quake-style level and model editors.

Back then free 3D modelling apps didn't really exists, maybe Anim8or just became available, but I don't remember exactly. And it took Blender some more years until it was released for free and I didn't understand how to use it. ;)

Everything else was expensive, had no distribution in my country or was not fun to use (Povray for example). There was also a huge language barrier for me back then, I just started learning English in school. And TrueSpace was understandable to use since it was only icons and simple value input windows.

I still have these very cool, old German books backed up. I scanned them years ago. They had chapters about modelling and animation with TrueSpace 1. And additional chapters about landscape generation with Vista Pro and image morphing with Elastic Reality. Great memories.
Welten aus dem Computer Cover
Welten aus dem Computer Cover
Snail Modelling
Snail Modelling
Bewegung aus dem Computer Cover
Bewegung aus dem Computer Cover
SpaceShuttle animation
SpaceShuttle animation
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

SP. wrote: 22 May 2023, 22:28 Because it's fun and nostalgic. Why not? :mrgreen:
:bananathumb: tS1, one of the great inventions! The basic concept of it has been handed down unbroken even after becoming tS6.6 (Model side of tS7.61). Please someone start an open source project to remake tS for modern OS.

I know only after tS2, and for my nostalgic reasons, I can never throw tS2's free demo CD with a tiny pamphlet that I found at Akihabara, Tokyo. It was the first day when I started my happy tS life.
borgcone ... or 3DfromNULL at https://biglode.com/ptsxpy
SP.
Seaman Recruit

Post by SP. »

borgcone wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 05:37
SP. wrote: 22 May 2023, 22:28 Because it's fun and nostalgic. Why not? :mrgreen:
:bananathumb: tS1, one of the great inventions! The basic concept of it has been handed down unbroken even after becoming tS6.6 (Model side of tS7.61). Please someone start an open source project to remake tS for modern OS.
Bforartists is somewhat of a spiritual successor of the Truespace interface style for Blender.

I personally also really like Moi3D. The way it works reminds me a lot of modelling in Truespace.