UnSelectable NURBS issue found

clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

UnSelectable NURBS issue found

Post by clintonman »

This fix is for the last release of the Unofficial Updates in July 2021.

The object locking can be overridden in the 3D view by selecting with the Alt key. The problem is that it also stops the automatic control point mesh selection for NURBS objects. So alt would always select the main nurbs instead of the control point mesh.
On top of that the locking would be applied to the control point mesh. So you lock but then you can still select it because the nurbs itself isn't locked. The automatic control point mesh selection would just override the locks. This problem was fixed in the workspace layers 4 locking code.

"Select July UU_updated" is a replacement for the "Select" node inside of /Widgets/Edit/Default context
It fixes the problem of Alt key bypassing the automatic control point mesh selection.

"unSelectable july UU01" replaces the UnSelectable node inside of /Scripts/CustomCommands
It has the fix for locking the nurbs object instead of it's the control point mesh. It does this if automatic control point mesh selection is active, otherwise it just locks whatever is selected.

A fix for the recent Unofficial Update test build and stand alone installer is in the works.
Attachments
Select July UU_updated.RsObj
(43.19 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
unSelectable july UU01.RsObj
(67.87 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
clintonman
Captain

Re: UnSelectable NURBS issue found

Post by clintonman »

Non permanent installer that works with the July Unofficial Updates and the new test UU.

The installer will update the Select node in the UU July release.

"Select UU new00" replaces the Select node inside of /Widgets/Edit/Default context/ for the new test UU
Rename to "Select" after loading

Reset Default Context to undo the changes from the installer.
Attachments
Select UU new00.RsObj
(38.7 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
UnSelectableAutoload nonPermanent02.RsObj
(193.45 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

Doing some tests and found some changes were needed.

The locking had the ability to lock NURBS object or the control point mesh inside the NURBS object. That did not work out well, so it was removed. Only NURBS objects will get the lock now.

Another issue with NURBS is that you can't see the UnSelectable when overriding the lock via alt lmb select.
Modified the NURBSUtilities node to show the selectionLocking panel on locked NURBS objects. This isn't a perfect solution since it seems to replace one of the displayed panels, but it is better than nothing.
Attachments
NURBSUtilities02.RsObj
(676.57 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
UnSelectableAutoload nonPermanent06.RsObj
(207.87 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

clintonman wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 21:54 Doing some tests and found some changes were needed.

The locking had the ability to lock NURBS object or the control point mesh inside the NURBS object. That did not work out well, so it was removed. Only NURBS objects will get the lock now.

Another issue with NURBS is that you can't see the UnSelectable when overriding the lock via alt lmb select.
Modified the NURBSUtilities node to show the selectionLocking panel on locked NURBS objects. This isn't a perfect solution since it seems to replace one of the displayed panels, but it is better than nothing.
What is not working with the previous version?
Seems to be working great for me!
It does not matter if the NURBS encaps, controlMesh, or LODMesh is selected before locking
The selectionLocking node is only being installed in the NURBS encaps
Widgets shortcuts is working as expected except the U + LMB - Unlock unless you select it in the LE first, but I think (maybe) that can be fixed
Can you give me the steps where it is not working?
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 22:42
clintonman wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 21:54 Doing some tests and found some changes were needed.

It does not matter if the NURBS encaps, controlMesh, or LODMesh is selected before locking
Widgets shortcuts is working as expected except the U + LMB - Unlock unless you select it in the LE first, but I think (maybe) that can be fixed
Deactivate auto cp mesh selection. Lock the control point mesh, lock the nurbs object, see the awkwardness while trying to unlock.
"It does not matter if the NURBS encaps, controlMesh, or LODMesh is selected before locking" is only true while the auto cp mesh is active.
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

clintonman wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 23:16

Deactivate auto cp mesh selection. Lock the control point mesh, lock the nurbs object, see the awkwardness while trying to unlock.
"It does not matter if the NURBS encaps, controlMesh, or LODMesh is selected before locking" is only true while the auto cp mesh is active.
I have been saying, "Why give the option to turn off Auto Select NURBS?".
For weeks if not months, I always keep it on and see no reason to turn it off.
Is there a reason why you would want it off?
Just asking? :mrgreen:
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 23:58
clintonman wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 23:16
I have been saying, "Why give the option to turn off Auto Select NURBS?".
For weeks if not months, I always keep it on and see no reason to turn it off.
Is there a reason why you would want it off?
Just asking? :mrgreen:
Having options is important for the things you don't know and can't anticipate. For example back awhile I made the NURBS curves use plugin code. It's faster than using script code. I kept the option to run the script code despite someone(yes you) strongly encouraging me to get rid of it. Then while updating the NURBS curves there were mystery errors that almost stopped the update. I turned on the script code and the errors went away. The slow script code was doing what the fast plugin code couldn't and made it possible to solve the underlying problem.
That's just one case. Other cases involve getting rid of options that make it significantly more difficult to develop new things or enhancements. An example of that would be getting rid of command node run buttons. Making it more difficult to test just portions of the code, only way is to test the whole thing all at once which is harder than testing a small piece at a time.

The answer to your question:
Removal of options closes doors and hinders future enhancements.

Obviously some things should not be optional like if it would crash truespace if it was available. Good example of that is crash from flatten uv's on purely triangulated meshes.
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

I am not saying get rid of the option to disable Auto Select NURBS
I am saying do not expose that option on the top level of the user interface
I look at it as an Advance feature that should only be used by somebody that knows how to use it
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 01:03 I am not saying get rid of the option to disable Auto Select NURBS
I am saying do not expose that option on the top level of the user interface
I look at it as an Advance feature that should only be used by somebody that knows how to use it
Glad you don't want to get rid of the option, but no thanks. I have a strong preference for not hiding things in any way.
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

Here's the final pre-release

changes to convert code to single undo style for lock, unlock and unlock all
Attachments
UnSelectableAutoload nonPermanent14.RsObj
(212.33 KiB) Downloaded 119 times