Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

RAYMAN
Captain

Re: Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

Post by RAYMAN »

My monitor is 4 -5 years old and its an HPX23
back in 2016 that was quite ok...
Id go for an HP or something like this for ie 200 maximum if bought new!
Its more value for money to spend on software!
You get a greater outcome if you go for ie. Isotropix Clarisse..then spend your money on ie. a 9i processor computer...!😏
https://www.cyberport.at/pc-und-zubehoe ... esync.html
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

What matters in big sizes is the viewing angles and uniformity. If the screen is bad you will see darker corners and such, or even if you display a solid color it will look like its non-uniform (dirty or spotty look with darker and lighter areas not looking like a one solid color at all).

About colors - its good to have some with good built-in sRGB (6500K) mode. So you can calibrate gamma only and it will be ok. No need for special calibrated or monitors that come with calibration probes. And no, eye is not a calibration or you will make a picture and other artist will see it wrong. Calibration and sRGB modes can make things look the same on different screens. Thats the point.

If you will see 2k with all other parameters better than some 4k for the same price, go for that 2k.
(also trueSpace DX7 cannot handle big res, so you would need to change it if you work in tS sometimes)
Resolution is the last thing that should be a concern here. Sometimes I cannot tell if a video is 2k or FHD. Its more about sharpness and clarity. Sometimes I see a video that is FHD and it looks crisp, sometimes I see a 2k video and I think its only FHD.

My Benq costed me about 500USD new. Thats not a bad price. Its 32" BenQ BL3200PT. I can recomend it, even used can be good i think. Benq has a good uniformity and such. Or any of the newer ones will be good iam pretty sure.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I've found 4K's within budget. My friend in Kansas can get it at a MicroCenter near him and bring it when he visits here. No shipping and I can get in store only bargains that way. I should convince myself to get nothing or a used thrift store 1080p but you know what is going to happen.*

My wish to have a higher res screen is for my viewing but Rayman makes a great point about audience. They will view on many devices but unlikely to have a superb monitor. People set the brightness of their screens differently. That could make a picture look black or washed out bright. Agree about price vs quality. Us "poor" folks know how to get a good deal on things we don't need ha ha ha.

Bitkar. Right about non-res factors being important. I see 4K TV's together in stores and the OLED ones look better. That's contrast and colors. I've watched videos on my slightly under 1080p monitor in 2K and 4K mode and they look better. Since I'm not really seeing 2K or 4K some other factor is at work. However I see a difference in monitors/TV's with different resolutions so for me, while it is not the only factor, it is an important one.

"If you will see 2k with all other parameters better than some 4k for the same price, go for that 2k." If you mean if a 2K that looks better than a 4K due to the non-res factors then would be reasonable. The low end ones I've researched have about the same other factors and $20 or $30 more gets a 4K. I miss trueSpace but I don't use it now.

*A rich guy gets money and thinks, "I will invest this money and create more wealth." Regular guy thinks, "I will save this money and accumulate wealth." Poor guy thinks, "Pizza!" (Or, "high res screen!" :lol: )
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

Finis: Ive done alot of research and selected a screen with superb quality on paper. Then I bought it and returned it after 2 days. Paper specs are not the most important. I strongly recomend buying something you can see prior to buying or something that you can easily return and get a refund or choose another screen. Or the upgrade may not be better or enough of a difference in reality.
Michal aka bitkar
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

@Bitkar There must be a joke about your girlfriend's specs and returning her after two days. Not enough coffee yet to think of one. I wish I could do as you say but here that would be the small selection of monitors at Walmart. There are no computer or tech stores in my small remote town. Attempting to travel to the nearest cities in my old truck would be unwise. (I'm saving to get a newer truck.) I'm thinking, if I get one, to wait for black Friday or cyber Monday super sales in November. Possibilities ... Friend in a town with a big computer store (with good return policies) could look at them and give his opinion. If someone I know goes to a city maybe I could go along and visit a computer store. Borrow a car but, in town sure, out of town I'd rather not. I'm stuck with the specs of the low end ones. Comparing in person would be good to get the best look within those specs.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Inferno hike was good. My photos were not so good. I used the camera's snow mode which I think is what I used before that worked well but the sand is pure white no details. Post processing does little to improve that so far. Same things as previous inferno hikes. I didn't find any wreckage this time. The entry fee is good for several days. I think I will go back and experiment with different camera settings.

I'm going to join at BlenderArtists.org.

I regained a little sense and accepted that any monitor I get must cost considerably less than a 4K. Unfortunately 2K's cost almost as much. Then a 2K monitor with good stats at a reasonable price appeared. Between 1080p and 4K instead of almost as much as 4K. Now to see if my friend near the store or his wife/kids can get it. That would save me a considerable shipping fee which would make this a no go. Hopefully there will be one of these set up there so he can see if it looks good before getting it. Good return policy.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

sounds good... fingers crossed. Hopefully its gonna be enough of a difference to be worth the upgrade. If you cannot buy significantly better monitor, maybe dont. It would be a waste of money to have something only slightly better.
What about getting some used monitor? (not too used tho)
Michal aka bitkar
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I'm on blenderartists.org now as Splododyne. I'll still be here of course.

Monitor acquired at nearly half price. ViewSonic VX228-smhd 27" QHD (1440p). I had a ViewSonic years ago and it was good. Friend was traveling for work. His daughter got it in Kansas. He will bring it when he visits here near the end of the month. That saves $38 shipping fee. I'll do a two monitor set up here to compare them. Unlikely but if the improvement is not enough then it can be returned.

Many monitors have speakers in them now. I wish they didn't. They could cost less without speakers. I'd bet that most people don't use monitor speakers.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

gratz... hopefully its way better than what you have.
I think speakers are cheap. The manufacture price is maybe few bucks bigger only. Not a big deal imo.
Michal aka bitkar