Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

Post by Finis »

My first try at dynamic hair with collision Blender 2.83.

I miss VidMe. Vimeo is so woke that I want to move to another platform. Youtube is worse. There's Bitchute and others but they don't have the features and monetization ability. No point in moving. Now days if I avoided all the wicked ones I couldn't shop anywhere or be anywhere.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

yup!
Near perfect!
Your model needs better textures..and the eyes need some working on and you are"there"
Awsome what Blender has come to...!
Maya couldnt even di that for years with payed Shave and a haircut plugin!
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Just a first try. Much to learn. This is about the hair so I did minimum work on textures and such. The model and its texture is Genesis 2 Female from Daz. Rigging all in Blender. Used properly the Daz materials look good in Blender. Eyes ... awesome in Daz/Iray but troublesome when export/import to Blender. I'll make eyes in Blender and use them for imported models.

The slow motion was puzzling. That was not deliberate. The problem was that this character is 15ft (5m) tall. I scaled it up because the cloth sim has a minimum setting that makes clothes float too far from the model. Scale it up and that minimum is not noticeable. At realistic size and making the hair heavier than the default the hair falls at a realistic rate.

It will be better if Blender gets collision for child hairs but this is much better than earlier versions without hair collision.

I should finish my Dark Grunge picture and get back to the Star Wars meets Christmas project. Learning about character animation works toward SWmC.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

that looks awesome... for a freeware... no brainer
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Inferno Hike! The dunes are open again. Friday and Monday (105F, 40.6C in town plus some in the dunes!) look good. It is good to be my own boss and run my own business. I can move work around for a day off when I want it.
inferno.jpg
I want a new screen for my computer. My current screen is 1680 x 1050 22". Hopefully, I will remember that I'm poor* not get a new one. I want higher resolution and a bit larger up to 27".

In case I do get one what are your thoughts and ideas?

HD1080p 1920 x 1080
pros: higher res than current one, most of my CG rendered in HD, low cost
cons: not much higher res

2K 1440p 2560 x 1440
pros: higher resolution than HD, I might render animations at this res
cons: high cost, cost not much less than 4K

4K 2160p 3,840 x 2,160
pros: high resolution, see video and images in 4K
cons: expensive, unlikely I will render animations at this res but maybe with eevee

*Poor Americans consider buying 4k computer screens. It's so awful, let's riot.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

I bought a Benq few yrs ago and iam happy.. I think they are making an excelent line of monitors. Get a 32", you will not regret. Mine is 32" MVA technology and its pretty much the same as IPS, but with better black (3000:1 contrast). Iam happy also with 2k resolution on such monitor size. I like to see the pixels if I lean close to screen and i can run anyhitng in native resolution still and my GPU will not be fried (or expensive).
Michal aka bitkar
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Take a cheapo 1080p..even consider buying a used one!
I bought one for 35$!
The size of the screen has nothing to do with the size of project you are working on!
Use the money for stuff that helps you work faster and better in 3D! ie Software!
I spent money on Vue..Moi 3D..etc and dont regret it!
My hardware setup is very modest!
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

size of screen = comfort of work (i dont ever want smaller screen than 27", even dont want smaller than 32", once you try, you dont want to go back)
and good screen means accurate colors if you do something with colors and you dont want to be off when adjusting saturation or such. Good sRGB screen is enough tho, no need for wide gamut imo.
Michal aka bitkar
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Any more advice or ideas? Y'all will think of things I might not.

Rayman's advice is good considering my finances. I should get a cheap one or none and other things would give more benefit for my CG hobby. Good advice for me but surprising he doesn't have a super capable screen as a photographer given the nature of that work. Marcel, a professional designer and artist, noted having cutting edge screens.

Bitkar finds the 1440p a suitable resolution and so do I. But ... since the low end ones cost almost as much as a low end 4K it seems best get a 4K. Good point about hardware but buying used on Ebay, patience, insanity, and selling my old gpu cards produced two gtx 1070 ti's for my render power.

Low End: that's what I can afford. Nice features like IPS and LED are mostly standard on the cheaper ones but high contrast, calibrated colors, and others are far from my price range which is the bottom 2 or 3 items if they are on sale. Looking at screens in stores and friends I like the 27" +- size.

Right now I'm leaning toward 4K or none. HD is not much improvement and 1440p vs 4K not much difference in price.

Inferno! It keeps getting better. More and more inferno for my dunes hike. In the dunes it should be like when I lived in Phoenix, AZ.
inferno.jpg
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

The quality of a screen and size doesnt 1:1 transfer in amount of money!
You also need to be carefull about the profiles of your hardware!
I had expensive stuff off in color not once but many times over the past couple if years!
Calibration is an eye thing not a hardware thing!😊
Note also that while you as a pro might have a supi dupi thing in your studio..the client or enduser looks at your work in the end on a 200$ cellphone!😏