Short Term Plans

A place where have some extra fun..
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Short Term Plans

Post by Finis »

I'm interested in animation now so cranking out frames at high speed is good. Eevee and such are good but Iray, Cycles etc. still rule for some rendering. By American standards I'm poor so I shouldn't consider such a toy. Patience is free and I have a 1060 3gb. I do have all the irresponsibility and poor judgement needed to accomplish this purchase. (Rich guy gets money. He thinks, "I will invest this money and create more wealth." Regular guy gets money. He thinks, "I will save this money and accumulate wealth." Poor guy gets money. He thinks, "Pizza!")

A few less popular ones have gone for close to my budget so persistence might pay off. Or I should just wait or better don't buy one. Usually the bids rocket up during the last minute bidding war. I mean that ... last minute ... really.

@James: Games. What is this games thing you speak of? I have a gt 640 (customer gave it to me). For gpu rendering it is approximately as fast as the cpu. I use it for the screen while the 1060 renders. UPDATE: I remembered that wrong. My cpu, amd fx8320, renders times as fast as the gt 640.

@Rayman: Including shipping $245. Around 0.5X new. Hopefully less. If I'm going to get one it looks like I'll have to go up a little.

@Steinie: Per my research, a 1070 ti has about the same cores, clock rate, and memory as a 1080 not-ti. Benchmark tests show almost the same performance. Power per dollar a 1070 ti should be a bargain.
Last edited by Finis on 17 Jan 2019, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

Finis, at my age (rapidly approaching the three quarter century mark) I don't do any games except for some card games.
Walk by faith, not by sight.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

jamesmc wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 21:15Finis, at my age (rapidly approaching the three quarter century mark) I don't do any games except for some card games.
I know what you mean. I don't get a "thrill of victory" or fun of participation with others from games anymore. Don't have any on my computer. I was trying to note in a joking way that I want the gpu for CG render power by implying that I don't know what a game is.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

There are CPU render engines for graphics, I don't particularly like them myself, because one has to use that engines shaders or materials.

With that said, I've tried to render animation or videos and I suppose one has to have a Hollywood power computer or system of computers to get anything done in a reasonable amount of time. I still have folders full of graphic PNG files that crashed halfway through or even worse wouldn't render the last ten percent.

Video processing murders my feeble system.

If I find a good card available at a great price I'll mail it to you free of charge. A lot of geeks in my family that feel the need to upgrade every month.
Walk by faith, not by sight.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Nah, don't do that James. I really appreciate the offer though! I just missed one by $5. Persistence. Patience.
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

Heading out to try the ice skating. Missed the mirror smooth stuff due to iffy warm weather and rain. Frozen back up but has some skiffs of snow on it. Saw a couple snowmobiles out there yesterday so I guess it's firm enough.
FHembree
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by FHembree »

I had been watching videos of "Wonderhussy Adventures" of "Retracing the final steps of the Death Valley Germans" :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-KUF-xiV5o

and accidentally ran across this video where she visited burning man and found it interesting. See below. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M39CuS3 ... ex=57&t=0s
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Yup! I was there in June 1972! No joke area!!! Seriosly no joke!
Vegas in July....😲
There were only 2 other places I remember that were just as hot..Phoenix Arizona and St Antonio Texas!
Unbelievable! So hot you cant breathe!!!😲
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I'll shoot cans and plastic cups this weekend or next. Or not. I'm too lazy to clean up which often deters me. Also need to find cheap ammo.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

that is a nice plan... maybe you just need a big tarp underneath it, so cleaining would be simple. Cheap ammo can be any .22. Its small but still fun :)
We cant shoot cans at our property. But i have similar plan - to go on a public range. Just to find a time when (better at weekends)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)