Who knows or is learning Blender?

A place where have some extra fun..
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Who knows or is learning Blender?

Post by Finis »

Who knows or is learning Blender? What skill level do you rate yourself? Novice, competent, good, expert, whatever words you think describe your ability. What things are you good at doing or interested in with Blender? Modeling, rigging, animation, textures/materials, lighting, simulations, ...

I'm a novice and I want to learn everything so I don't have a preference in modeling, materials, etc.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Draise
Captain

Re: Who knows/learning Blender?

Post by Draise »

I was intermediate in Blender then I switched to Bforartists and became more a pro almost immediately.

Forte could be pipeline...comp, editing, layout, blocking animation. Rigging could be the most I use it for.

Mids are more modeling (prefer elsewhere like Softimage). Animation is secondary, a long with sculpting.

Least focus is the rest like textures, rendering (do it elsewhere), etc

I made a generalist course to make a short film in Bforartists. I could give that to you online, or a specialized course. I like tutoring.

Topics cover some ins and outs of storytelling, cinematography, creative design pipelines, the practical application of production techninqes to get the models ready and rigged for animation. Then the course moves on to layout and animation then Lookdev, to illumination theory & rendering. If needs be, we can also do some quick sound design. I also optionally include tips, tricks and strategy to freelance or work with a business.

Basically its my workflow over a good semester of private info, homework and tasks for a portfolio to find more work, and to get a feel for what 3D area you like. I do this in Bforartists because it is easier to learn and teach but not alien to Blender.
clintonman
Captain

Re: Who knows or is learning Blender?

Post by clintonman »

I'm learning Blender 2.8, Not learning too quickly since it's still alpha state.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Im in the learning bit...so not very advanced as of yet....but....I dont do everything in Blender! When I need a city.. I fire up Blender..fire up my city simulator and produce something ie in there and export that.. I do the rest ie in Vue.stream.etc! Or I do basic modeling to get a simple shape and export via fusion 360 to moi3d and carry on from there! Very very different workflow from most of the peoples...!☺
Attachments
14950419992452.jpg
received_1344914638864626.jpeg
received_1344914635531293.jpeg
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Anyone else? See first post.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

I am getting better at it!
Trick is..limit yourself to the use you have in Blender!
If you want to know everything..you fail!
Start learning the bits that you are interested in first!
Gradualy start to expand your knowledge to whatever topic needed!😏
Dragneye
Lieutenant

Post by Dragneye »

I have been concentrating on Blender. Sketching, modeling, animation. Texturing and rendering is next. I would say slightly below intermediate proficiency in the first three.
Been getting used to working in 2.8 beta but once it crashed when i opened a complex file i had been working on i stopped and will wait for the finished release (summer 2019 i think).
I think the new interface makes it easier for anyone new to the program; slightly more logical and intuitive. That said, I have much appreciation and respect for what the Blender developers are doing.

Question: Isn't bforartists a watered down 2.8 interface, or is it somehow quite different?
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

No its a fork that has icons..is a bit more colored..and has different shortcuts!
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I wouldn't use B2.8 for projects until the stable release. I do recommend using B2.8 beta to become familiar with the new parts and UI changes. Also best to start with it if you are beginning in Blender.

Anyone else using Blender? See first post.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Dragneye wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 06:35 Question: Isn't bforartists a watered down 2.8 interface, or is it somehow quite different?
It's the same in functionality to Blender..yet... In UI, it's minimized (reduced redundancies), reorganized (easier to discover things), better iconology (colour and icons everywhere), better defaults (add-ons and setup, theme, UI tools: toolshelf, node editor add shelf, etc) and more. I stopped Blender cause I could get efficient in BFA in a few months when I struggled in Blender for years (and still do struggle).