U3DA Challenge, Nov. 2016, Farming - Comments

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: U3DA Challenge, Nov. 2016, Farming - Comments

Post by Finis »

You all enter the challenge. Not much time? Simple pictures are good (link). Try modeling an object or two to merge with a photo background.

@Steinie: Inflatable signature!
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I'll be starting my modeling today.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Get it done Draise! This is taking too long. Time for a winner and a new challenge.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Oi! Good things take time! It's only been a month! :P

I'm modeling this one in Softimage, but I have to learn how to first to do it well.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Draise, any estimate on how long to finish?

I think this no-deadline-registration method for challenges isn't good. It will likely always have most contestants finished and waiting for a few slow or ambitious ones to finish. The traditional deadline, about a month, way is probably best. However, whoever wins could try an alternative method for running a challenge. I think participation is not going to improve due to some alternative method.
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

I'm cool on waiting if Draise starts a WIP showing progress. If not chop chop! :lol: :bananaclaus:
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I've started. I've also started two new animation jobs.
And it is December.

I plan to finish it by January early.

When I get back from work I'llpart my wip.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Good! I envy you working in CG.

You all could do entries (post in the registration thread if you start an entry or if you have but decide to withdraw). If they don't take more than a month then it wouldn't make the challenge go on forever ... let's avoid that.

Again, I think the traditional rules, one month or so deadline, is best. If the winner wants to try some other alternate rules I'd recommend that they include a set deadline but as challenge super being you can do what you want. I tried different rules on this one in response to a discussion about low participation (link).
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I would never be able to compete in one month. Some of my projects, small ones.. may take 40 hours of work. Meaning two 20 hours part time weeks of work that would cost me a lot, even at 10 hours a week.. so I need to measure my 40 hours over a longer span so I can use that time with work that pays and covers my costs - or do it by investing time learning something useful while doing it.
Which is what I liked of this one with the quarterly aimed theme, 3 months.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

This one isn't quarterly. It's method is register to declare you are a contestant. The challenge ends when all the registered contestants have entered ... within reason. All kinds of problems are possible so I don't think this method is viable. One problem is the contest going on forever if people keep registering.

Good point about spare time. Gotta do the real world stuff first. However, you could adapt to the challenge rather than insist on doing a demanding project*. You could simplify or reduce the project or do an easier one to meet the deadline. Ambitious projects could be continued after a challenge to properly finish them. Sure, we all want to see our ideas done right but some flexibility is helpful. No hurry for your current entry. Do what you are doing and it will be soon enough.

I'd like to see "turn over" with challenges changing often but maybe a having longer deadlines is better. Longer deadlines overcome the spare time problem. Speedy folks could do multiple entries. Short/monthly ones encourage creativity with challenge themes or rules (3D haiku ... popular, teamwork ... didn't work well) since unpopular ones would pass quickly.

Another possibility is to go the other way. CSB's could do more speed modeling challenges. With a limit of a few hours spent per entry that would work for you and speedy folks could still do multiple entries.

*In my non-entry plow only the visible parts were modeled.

Edit: Added a "you could" and noted not about current entry.