Callanish Apartments - U3DAC May 2016

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Callanish Apartments - U3DAC May 2016

Post by Finis »

Details still to be added. There will be gardens on top of the horizontal parts. The large flat areas will be sheathed in glass. 470' high.

Any suggestions for what to do on the pillars at ground level? They shouldn't go straight into the ground. What about the tops of the pillars?
Attachments
UDAC-5-16-two.jpg
UDAC-5-16-one.jpg
Last edited by Finis on 23 May 2016, 17:55, edited 2 times in total.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Finis
Captain

Re: Untitled (so far) - UDAC May 2016

Post by Finis »

The ground level of the pillars gets a bevel. Which pillar top looks best? Simple or with the vertical face?
Attachments
UDAC-5-16_3.jpg
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I want to render in Daz with Iray but I can find no way to export/import a Bryce forest to Daz. Individual trees yes but not trees as a group to preserve relative size, orientation and position. Also instances don't export and Bryce's tools to spray or randomize plants onto terrain make instances even with that option unchecked. So I'll probably have to render in Bryce. I could import a few plants and spread copies by hand in Daz but that takes too much time. I could give up on the forest and gardens and make a more constructed or urban environment.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

It is an apartment building. It has few details since I don't intend to do close ups. The surroundings are troublesome. I've imported the land and its texture from Bryce into Daz. Iray render. The sky is exported from Bryce as hdri. I think the natural surroundings I wanted will be too hard to do. So it will have a park inside the "C" and trees on the horizontal section roofs but not a Bryce tree forest to the horizon. Still not sure how to put it in an urban environment. The UV mapping is also trouble.
Attachments
u3dac5-16architecture_1.jpg
u3dac5-16architecture_2.jpg
Finis
Captain

Re: Untitled (so far) - U3DAC May 2016

Post by Finis »

The terrain was more trouble than I expected. Given the scale of the building the close surrounding terrain can't be hidden in aerial views.

The road has no lines because the UV is rotated 90 degrees and it I'd have to rebuild the road and fit it to the terrain again to change that. Now I recall that there is a decal texture for Iray. I should have used that to paint the road on the ground. A forest around it would require Bryce or Vue if I had that but I'm not skilled enough to with Bryce to do the textures for the building. So I'm out of enthusiasm for this one. There is another architectural model I want to do but I may not have time to finish for the challenge.

It is an apartment building. Any ideas for a name?

Iray render. Sky, terrain, trees exported from Bryce. Trees instanced, instance groups made, and spread by hand in Daz. Modeling with Hexagon. Ground texture is a combination of this texture from Deviant art (link) and one from http://www.textures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (formerly cgtextures).
Attachments
u3dac-5-16_ground.jpg
u3dac-5-16_roof.jpg
u3dac-5-16_view1.jpg
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Untitled (so far) - U3DAC May 2016

Post by Steinie »

"Callanish Resort" comes to miind. :bananathumb:
Finis