How to use V-Ray on tS76 STD ?

Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

How to use V-Ray on tS76 STD ?

Post by Emmanuel »

I've made a fresh new install of tS7.61 Standalone version (no unofficial update was applied yet), and installed VRay 1.54.
VRay works : I can render a picture. But it seems I can't enter VRay's material editor.

You may know that Workspace has 2 Material Editors : one is for D3D and one is for VRay. Their panels are different. In tS7.6 and 7.61 you can switch between the two modes in the Material Editor options panel. See below a screen capture from tS7.6
capture_1.jpg

But in tS7.61 Standalone, I get a crash if I try to select VRay...
TrueSpace also crashes if I try to inspect the material of an object painted with a VRay shader.

If I appy the Unofficial update 3, same problem.

Did anyone tried this ?
Is there a workaround to make VRay's material editor to work in tS Standalone version ?
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: How to use V-Ray on tS76 STD ?

Post by trueBlue »

Its been awhile but have noticed issues with Vray when installing it. As I remember there was difficulties with the Combo Control updating and possibly duplicate Vray nodes. IE Vray and Vray, 1 and or duplicate Vray Material Editor nodes?
Search in the Link Editor for Vray and delete duplicate nodes.
Reset the Default Context and see if that helps.

Instructions for the unofficial update are as follows:
Vray users: Install/Load Vray in the Package Manager and REBOOT trueSpace.
Select the "Update Library Places" button in the D3D Material Editor. Reselect the Library Place and a Library item.

Here is a video for the Live Vray Material Editor version showing the process of updating the Library Places near the end of the video:
download/file.php?id=9110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stan
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by stan »

I just tried to install the standard and v-ray. I got the same crash. It seems to be working for a render, but not loading the editor.
stan

Post by stan »

Ok..to make it work you must copy LwME.dll from 7.61b into your std directory. Then edit your init.js with this line:RsApp.ImportPackage('LwME.dll');
I noticed that the shaders had the red around them showing they didn't work.
I uploaded the files in 7zip.

edit: If it has any problem it's because I forgot to mention moving the LwME folder in scripts too.
Attachments
LwME.7z
(161.98 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
init.7z
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
vray.jpg
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Thank you Stan :)

It works : no more crash !

We must add the VRay materials in the library also : copy/paste from tS7.61 to tS7.61 STD's 'Rs Maine Libraries' all these folders :
Vray Materials
Vray Shaders - Color
Vray Shaders - Displacement
Vray Shaders - Reflectance
Vray Shaders - Transparency

I still get an error message when tS starts though. It says :

Error loading LW shader variables definition -

As you noticed, it seems there is some remaining of LightWorks in the code :)
Also, in the rendering options (in PhotoRender panel), we still have Virtualight.tsr and Lightworks.tsr in the Render Engine selector.

tS SDT has a great potential to become a fully functionnal software if we could sort out these little issues...
stan

Post by stan »

yes I forgot to mention that too.. the folders get created but not in the library.
If it has any problem it's because I forgot to mention moving the LwME folder in scripts too
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

I got Vray including the Vray Material Editor working in Rosetta if anybody is interested.
The only shaders that are not working are the procedural materials.
Still working on how to reset the shaders without throwing an error but I have a work around if I can not figure out what's missing.
Attachments
Rosetta VRay.PNG
stan

Post by stan »

I guess you are saying you got it working in your unofficial update. It already worked, I suppose the procedural materials where coded in the exe or the link to them is broken, not sure. There is no error using the original material editor when resetting materials as it works fine on my win 7 machine..
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

stan wrote: 11 May 2018, 12:07 There is no error using the original material editor when resetting materials as it works fine on my win 7 machine..
Curious? When you switch from the Vray Material Editor to the D3D Material Editor and back to the Vray Material Editor, does Vray still render as expected? For me on Win10, I have to reload the Color and Phong shaders to get it to work correctly again. The original Vray Material Editor does not have code to reset the individual Vray Shaders.
stan

Post by stan »

if you look in the preobjects I have two vray_me nodes, one with old next to it. Made in 6/10/2008. I don't think I did that as I only got my win 7 machine a couple years ago. . One has reset, one the old one doesn't. but maybe I did bring it from my old machine.. don't recall. you can just change out the clickable bitmap for bitmap button control. I remember creating one for Steinie years ago..

I did find that using materials from the library it changed my material setup from being connected to a LWmaterial node to being connected to a material editor node.. I was able to get the LWmaterial node back by deleting it in the active material node. Don't know if it causes any problems.

So far can't help on the procedural issue..it's a mystery as to where the issue lies.