TrueSpace crashes when saving an object as .STL

lrdsatyr8
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 10

TrueSpace crashes when saving an object as .STL

Post by lrdsatyr8 »

OK... I dunno if I'm doing something wrong but it seems as if every time I try to save an object as an .STL file, TS7.61b crashes and I lose any changes and if I didn't save the scene before saving I have I start from scratch.

Now, it does work sometimes... usually on simple objects, but it seems to be random so far. I've experienced it if I have an object with glued together parts... objects that aren't glued but all selected with SHIFT key selection, and even parts that are multi parted but UNIONed together as a single object. I don't know what is causing this... any ideas?
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: TrueSpace crashes when saving an object as .STL

Post by Emmanuel »

lrdsatyr8 wrote:OK... I dunno if I'm doing something wrong but it seems as if every time I try to save an object as an .STL file, TS7.61b crashes and I lose any changes and if I didn't save the scene before saving I have I start from scratch.

Now, it does work sometimes... usually on simple objects, but it seems to be random so far. I've experienced it if I have an object with glued together parts... objects that aren't glued but all selected with SHIFT key selection, and even parts that are multi parted but UNIONed together as a single object. I don't know what is causing this... any ideas?
STL is a format dedicated to 3d printing. Therefore you are not supposed to build grouped objects : the faces/vertices should make a continuous "skin" that covers the whole object.
If your building method requires several objects, then there is no guarantee that the 3D printer will produce the object you plan.

Now if you have no other choice, then I suggest to glue the objects together, then use Clinton's PolyCombiner tsx. This will generate a single object just like boolean tool would but with no addition/blending of the shapes. It may work on export...
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by BNG »

I wonder if the mesh collapse plugin will do the thing? Isn't STL associated more for the workspace side of TS?
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by clintonman »

BNG wrote:I wonder if the mesh collapse plugin will do the thing? Isn't STL associated more for the workspace side of TS?
Yes it would. The mesh collapse and polycombine both do the same basic thing.
trueSpace STL format is modelspace, not workspace.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
lrdsatyr8
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by lrdsatyr8 »

I got Clinton's Polycombine and used it to combine all the objects together before saving as an STL and it seems to have worked... will keep working with it and see if it happens again!