Movies and TV

A place where have some extra fun..
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Movies and TV

Post by Draise »

Just saw Mad Max, wow.. what a concept, and great action scenes! Full of happy adrenaline after watching that! For story and drama, I wouldn't hole much to it, but seriously, great fun!

And it should have been called Max Furiosa.

Great character.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Supergirl

TV series. Looks like fun.

Likes: Fun fast paced plus action and super powers. Bad guys are bad. Good good guys are good. Actress was born to wear a miniskirt. Helen Slater's more powerful physique, from the 80's Supergirl, looked more Kryptonian but this actress has an energetic athleticism that works too. Cast is not too numerous so characters won't get lost in a crowd.

Gripes: Ali McGraw actress' acting stinks. They should have cast someone else. The boss character she plays is poorly written or the way she does it is flawed. Although based on comic books the characters could use a little more depth. Not too much though. There will probably be "girl power".

I hope the writer's remember that Kara was 10 or so on Krypton so she has memories and knowledge which Kal El does not.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

This is a game, a cool game, not a movie. I put it here because the preview made me long for a movie with this theme. Not a game based movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUcQ0DDT7s
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

The Martian

Saw it. REVIEW here.

Gripes: In one trailer the crew is being interviewed and the female mission commander lists people who inspired her -- all females. The German astronaut says that he is German in every scene. If that is all there is to dislike then this will be fun.
Last edited by Finis on 25 Oct 2015, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I'm really really looking forward to this film.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Glow

A short film by a new director. This is really good. His website says this was inspired by a dream he had and that he hopes to continue the story. If he does I hope he keeps the mystery factor. Not much CG but it is used well.

https://vimeo.com/139718295
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

Your right Finis, this one is really good! Even the acting was pretty solid. The environments were setup to be believable and well done. This short film reminded me of the XFiles. I hope they continue the project.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Steinie wrote:Even the acting was pretty solid ...
Yep. He says this was for requirements for a master of fine arts degree. The actors looked familiar and were too good to be his friends and classmates so I looked them up on IMDB. They are pros with movies and TV shows to their credit. He must have raised a good bit of money for this. Good. Seems he knows how to deal with agents, producers, etc. He'll be around for a while.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Blindspot

Getting the tattoo FX https://youtu.be/P8q-OEF6CoM Six hours when full cover is needed.

Full Premiere Episode http://www.hulu.com/watch/846712 This is the only one I've seen yet.

Gripes: I think the first episode reveals too much ... of the mystery ;). She is thought to have training like special ops etc. ... close quarters combat looks amateurish, blinks when she shoots, runs like a girl, limp wrist fist. They need an adviser for that stuff. Like most crime shows officers violate rights, commit crimes, ignore crimes, never appear in court, etc. True it would be boring otherwise but at least mention being in the trial of the perp arrested in the previous episode or note the gravity of situation merits an exception.
Last edited by Finis on 25 Oct 2015, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

REVIEW

The Martian

4.5 stars of 5 on the entertainment meter. It would score higher if I preferred realistic sci fi. It gets a PC rating of zero! That's right. Zero political correctness.

FX is great. Mars is beautiful. Acting is good from the leads and better than average to good for the secondary characters. There is humor and it works well for the story and characters. There were plenty of twists and surprises. The story is good but I think with 2.5 hours length it could have been better developed. Same for the characters. Though the actors did well I think they didn't have enough to work with to develop characters I would care about or dislike. The realistic aspect and solving the problems was interesting and believable with a few exceptions. The all female list of people who inspired the commander that was in a trailer was not in the movie nor was anything in it PC.