Playin' around...

Dragneye
Lieutenant

Playin' around...

Post by Dragneye »

Just playing around with various rigs. This is the Blender Sintel rig from the short movie of the same name. Facial bones didn't work so no face work.
She frowns/playfully pouts, winks, smiles, and then shows off for the animator :)
(I would go at least one more round with refining the movements if it were a finished product)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5MzMc6bdP0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS: if anyone has any experience and would like to show me why i couldn't get the head rig working, I'd be glad to share the file.
Yes, I could go to the Blender forums and resolve it. But I'm asking here... my old haunt. wink wink nudge nudge... know what I mean? Know what I mean?
... any takers?
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Playin' around...

Post by Draise »

That is a great animation, I like how much you are improving and where you are going with it all! I saw it a while back, but just wanted to say, you are getting to awesome levels!

Keep at it.
Dragneye
Lieutenant

Post by Dragneye »

Hey Draise. Thank you for the comments and the encouragement.
Very cool of you.

Wanting to do animation is what got me started in this new brave world called 3D. Opposite of what I heard often before, I think for one to have any hope of being part of 'the industry' nowadays, specialization is the key not jack-of-all-trades like its been. My forte is modeling but the end goal has always been... making my paintings move.
You will be seeing more of me in this area.

I do hope more people here get the itch and try their hand at this.

Draise, have you dabbled with animating in Blender?
Dragneye
Lieutenant

Post by Dragneye »

A quicky testing a back flip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVDVWFtdaOA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seppgirty
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by seppgirty »

Beautiful job Dragon eye. Are you using mocap or key framing for your animation?
truespace 3.2, 5.2, 6.6, ani-pack, flash plugin,........ you can check out my films athttp://www.chaosbrosfilms.com
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Nice! I would tuck her legs in with the spin more though, have you ever tried doing a flip with your legs out? *nearly breaks neck on trampoline as kid* It's looking good, the buildup is nice, and the follow through too.

I love the progress, and thank you so much for sharing animation on here! :)

You can put in youtube link code in the youtube tags so you can watch directly in the forums, btw.

Code: Select all

[youtube]IVDVWFtdaOA[/youtube]
I haven't tried animating too much in Blender, only some motion graphics. I like the potential of it, but.. I want to take a few Blender courses on it with due time - I see great potential with it. So will do later on in life - hoping the viewport and realtime lighting improve with time (trueSpace handles way more geometry better, surprisingly, maybe not so fast rigging, but more geometry that's for sure).

I will update progress on these forums though, Blender Forms overwhelm me. :mrgreen:

Glad you are too.
Dragneye
Lieutenant

Post by Dragneye »

Thanks seppgirty. Doin' it ole style; key framing by hand. Mocap is great but it is just too ... too perfect/easy. I won't learn as deeply (I'm speaking as an artist).

It's the future though. Soon we'll be cheering and voting on virtual actors at the Oscars and 'creating' films simply by thinking them out; bada bing... instant movie. Heck, did you all know they have a machine like a 3D printer; but it creates... food!? So, I can have instant popcorn, watching my instant virtual 3D movie I created a few minutes ago, and when it all ends I get up in front of my virtual adoring fans at the virtual premiere of my movie as the director and take questions, signing virtual autographs.
How 'virtually' beautiful. we'll get everything we want when we want and... it's all imaginary. But we'll feel great. (change 'virtual/instant' to 'fake' and ya get the idea)
And then one day I turn to my instant friend and ask, "Maaan... you remember when we used to do it by hand? When we could smell the oil paint; touch the bolt... write on paper?"
In a slight robotic voice my 3D drinking buddy will reply, "No d-ude. Tell me all about it". As I turn to reply, happy that someone cares to hear what I have to say, I see no one there, just an empty circular room; my Holo-room. Or is it Hollow-room? Content, but all imaginary.

lol
See what happens Sepp when an artist's mind gets to travellin'? :)

Hey Draise, thanks for the comments. Neither of the last two are finished. Yeah, the beginning looks pretty ok. I'm trying for a few things right now. Testing things out for creating my complete, most efficient rig, warm up for a short I'm working on, and most efficient animating process.
I'm studying parkour moves to improve my vision of the movements. Its amazing to see how many minute unnoticed actions we perform in between the main actions. Awesome to watch these bodies move in general.
Thanks for the code! Will try it next round.
Very true abt tucking in the knees/legs. I used footage of a back flip but on the ground not from a height. What's funny is when you see the actual flip it looks 'wrong'. But it can't be cuz, well that was reality so, lol. It is what it is.
Actually (though I have to study it more), stretching of body parts when trying for a realistic representation of the action seems to be happening in real life not only in cartoons (I stretched parts at the beginning of the flip which I think added to the nice flow at that point).
Glad you understand. This place is like a comfy friends house... who loves 3D. Fond memories here, appreciation, respect. Would love to see the folks here try their hand at animating. It's work but boy does it help the imagination. Hey, maybe it could be one of the challenges: everyone gets the same simple rig and they well, animate something.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Good creatin' there Dragneye.

I see that too, that sometimes reality doesn't look real or right. I think when we try to create realistic CG, or other media, we are making it look as we expect reality to be. Real reality is messy and the unexpected happens.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Dragneye
Lieutenant

Post by Dragneye »

Very true Finis. Like I like to say... "It's all in the details".

From me to all of you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KqVCGpKoc[/youtube]
Dragneye
Lieutenant

Post by Dragneye »

Here's a test I'm doing with Blender's Grease Pencil (tool used to add like pencil strokes within a file for drawing, annotations, etc).
The animation is less than 2 seconds but can't figure out how to stretch/slow it down so it's more viewable.
When I figure it out will share but if anyone's interested how the scene looks here's a screen shot...
GREASE_MTN SUN test 1.jpg