Mars 3D

MikomDude
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Mars 3D

Post by MikomDude »

The Mars 3D Project
Here is a new idea I'm working on, colonizing Mars. There are a couple of companies already working on this idea and I felt inspired. I have also played around with the idea in my mind for quite some time.

Mars Colonizer

This is the Mars Colonizer, it is a space vessel assembled in space allowing several large components such as the main living hub and the life support, research/science and botanical hubs to be deployed on Mars as they are now.

Right now the colony itself is the most complex scene and also the first scene I started working on however since I've been having some big tS problems I won't be able to continue and render it. Same with this scene actually, however this one was easier to create a somewhat decent workspace render out of.

Updates will follow... I hope.
Last edited by MikomDude on 20 Aug 2015, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
MikomDude
Captain

Mars 3D - Spacecraft + Colony

Post by MikomDude »

Now that I got trueSpace working again I can continue on my project. I made a proper render of the spacecraft and also managed to get a decent WIP shot of the colony itself.
Mars Colonizer (Finished)

This space vessel is assembled in space allowing several large components such as the main living hub and the life support, research/science and botanical hubs to be deployed on Mars as they are now. This saves assembly time for the colonists but is however more expensive.
Mars Colony (Work In Progress)
This is the colony where eight colonists can live and study Mars. The main living hub (left) has the communication room, living areas and library. The six smaller hubs to the right have various functions such as cultivating plants for food, storing power, research equipment, storage for other equipment and life support (backup).
Last edited by MikomDude on 20 Aug 2015, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
MikomDude
Captain

Mars 3D - The Mars Colony

Post by MikomDude »

Full View (1920×1100p)

Full View (1920×1100p)

Full View (1920×1100p)

Full View (1920×1100p)

Main Hub Interior Layout
Full View

-
Here is the colony finished.
I haven't built any interior details yet though I have finished the general layout (as you can see on the concept above). Maybe I'll make an animation touring the colony just like I did with the Athena. Hope you like it, after all someone will have to live there some day. :D
froo
Captain

Re: Mars 3D

Post by froo »

Very cool MikomDude.
I would like to work with one of these companies, for real. :ugeek:
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Thanks froo!

And yeah me too, would be great to be one of the first to colonize a new planet. :)
Shell1850
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Shell1850 »

Interesting. How do you protect the colonist from radiation? How do plan to connect the different modules. Maybe put wheels on them.

Could call your company MarsX
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Very cool renders you got going there! Your shadows are improving a lot!
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Shell1850 wrote:Interesting. How do you protect the colonist from radiation? How do plan to connect the different modules. Maybe put wheels on them.

Could call your company MarsX
What kind of radiation are you referring to? Solar radiation? As for the hubs, the are moved with the use of a vehicle and crane, unfortunately I don't think truespace would be able to render another complex object so I decided not to make it. It was on my original concept however. It even had a little garage :D

As for the name, for now it stays Mars 3D. I think MarsX has already been taken.
Draise wrote:Very cool renders you got going there! Your shadows are improving a lot!
Thanks Draise. The shadows however are a standard model-side lighting set up. Modified somewhat.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

You can now download the Mars 3D colony and preview it in real time: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21879596 ... ony_3D.zip

Use the W-A-S-D keys to move around in the scene and hold the right mouse button to look around.

Hope you like it :D
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

That's so cool! NO Shadows and I kept floating through the walls! But it was cool!! Great that everything downloaded before preview, thus the "waiting" to see it didn't seem to have happened unlike TS livespaces..! I like it!

But I must say, for such luxurious suites on mars like so, this must have cost a fortune and a half to get into space! Or was it built out of materials mined from asteroids?

Cool. Maybe with shadow baking you can add shadows to your realtime previews.