Early Winter on the Prairie

tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Early Winter on the Prairie

Post by tahnoak »

marcel wrote:this wip become a SMC. i hope tahnoak appreciate it. :D
Very much so marcel.. nice to know folks are interested enough to share their opinions.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

theuns wrote:Wow! Coming along VERY nicely, haven't checked in for a while :)

If you want to make a tractor for this scene, it should be very easy and low detail because you are not focusing on it in the foreground and can get by with a low poly model and a good texture... you should give it a try, it is a great learning experience opportunity ;)
Thanks theuns... as you can tell the scene has come a long way from a couple of fence posts and some wire (back to the original scene). Steinie provided me with a tractor for the scene though I do hope to some day tackle a car/truck/tractor.. etc.. my problem is patience. I have so little time on the computer to do stuff that I hate to "waste" it learning something. I would rather be doing something.
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

It would probably be a plow blade in the back, something like this.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

interesting. I might be able to tackle that and just make it rusty and snow covered...thanks!!
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Still tinkering with the atmosphere... thanks for all the awesome suggestions and examples.

Will try some post processing stuff too..
Attachments
Prairie16.jpg
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by clintonman »

It's coming along nicely. My comment is that the snow looks a little powdery to me. I think the shadows are to harsh making it look less like snow. Maybe a little bit of glow to smooth it out a little bit.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

When the snow is not thick the ligth can pass through. You can simulate that with a very small quantity of luminance on the model side shader to do a softer effect. But that's fine if the snow starts to melt. ;)
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

clintonman wrote:It's coming along nicely. My comment is that the snow looks a little powdery to me. I think the shadows are to harsh making it look less like snow. Maybe a little bit of glow to smooth it out a little bit.
I am struggling with that as well clintonman.. some versions I find too much "gray" in the snow so I brighten it and then the scene looks washed out.. this is honestly the hardest time I have had with lighting a scene.. :D
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

ya, snow would be better with less sharp bump. usually snow smooth shapes
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Math Path
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Math Path »

clintonman wrote:It's coming along nicely. My comment is that the snow looks a little powdery to me. I think the shadows are to harsh making it look less like snow. Maybe a little bit of glow to smooth it out a little bit.
Good point, although the main difference between powder and snow is water and ice contained in snow. This cause snow to reflect the ambient light. Therefore shadows which we can see on the snow have always the color component of the sky. This can be observed on good winter landscape shots, but will be never seen on the photos of chalk or flour.