Early Winter on the Prairie

marcel
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Early Winter on the Prairie

Post by marcel »

The sun is low is what i said. But what is strange is the sky: the sun is from the right and low then the photo of the background don't match with this. You need clouds with shadow at left and light at right to enhance the effect of the entire scene. Also the sky is more clear at the horizon than the sky at the top. That don't match with the position of the sun. the best is to try different photo before you finish the scene.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
Tommy
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Tommy »

I, in some way agree and don't with you Marcel. Living more nearer to the arctic circle I find the picture natural for a midday, about noon, scene. I have no doubt about the clouds but maybee I would have a more colder blue color to the sky. The color of the sky is like we have in the summer.

But if it's in the evening about 3 pm (In southern Sweden) I would have much more bluish shadows and reddish sunshine.
"Carpe diem"
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

question of reality and art. ;)
Here is a test with your sky. + dark at left and + bright at right to coincide with the position of the sky. Also i changed the color ( less green) and added a little more volume on the cloud to add depth on the scene. But sure it would better with a picture that would have the perfect shade and not what I tinkered.
Attachments
sky.jpg
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

How about an upside-down coffee can on the tractor exhaust pipe to keep the snow and rain out.
No snowplow blade?
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

For this picture I agree that the sky should match the lighting better. (If you like this sky just flip the texture in Paint Shop or flip the plane it is on in TS.) For Tahnoak's style a certain amount of realism is needed, a large amount really, but the feel of the picture is where its value is.

Tahnoak, although he does not know it or is too modest to admit it, is an artist. His pictures express moods, emotions, stories, and captured moments of life. Expressing such things is more important that being completely real looking. Deliberately or intuitively using unreal features is often employed in art. For example, if it had a farmer arguing with his son then a sky that is reversed from the lighting could symbolically represent that and add to the picture's feeling of conflict.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Math Path
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Math Path »

Completely agree with Finis. Enough said...
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

I'm not sure that the different direction of light in the sky is a deliberate artistic purpose. we must ask the author why he did that before justifying. I am looking for realism only if it is relevant to the artistic aspect of a work. When I raised this point of view some time ago (remember the "why " and the "how" discuss), most people preferred the technical aspect. I did not insist because I felt not to be understood. I see that I am not the only one interested in this kind of discussion. and it is reassuring. :)
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Tahnoak the first work I saw you doing, was the old Alley scene, I just loved your work at the first sight!

And you gets better with the time, this is another masterpiece of yours! And it's amazing as you do this having a family and a work, things that I don't have as you yet.

So just to you to be aware of my worship over your art :worship:
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
Breech Block
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Breech Block »

This is indeed a very good piece of work. However, imo, there are 2 things that let it down and are holding it back from being a really great image.

The first is that the fence posts need to be darker. As they are, when I look at them they look like dry timber where as in reality the wood would be soaking wet due to the weather conditions.

The other thing is the quality of the sky/clouds. They lack clarity and depth which lend to the impression that you have just used a low-res image in the Background Effects Shader. In addition, using an image where you see the clouds scale all the way back to the horizon would give this image a far more dramatic look.

Hope this helps and keep up the good work.
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

nice to see you breech.
Use a photo as a background is often a thing misused. size of cloud, color, light and horizon need to be ok with the scene unless it is an artistic effect. Here the sky need improvment for an artistic effect as i said.