Caravel Project (MMC Jan 2011)

LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Re: Caravel Project (MMC Jan 2011)

Post by LeonRegis »

Basic Texture done:

The problem is, I can't find the spanish cross of the sails like this one: http://www.bestscalemodels.com/santamaria.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone knows the name of that kind of cross so that I can search for that.

Also the texturing looks odd I don't know why, maybe you guys can point it out.
Attachments
texturecaravel_002.jpg
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Nice one! The modeling looks very good. I don't know why you made the ropes the way you did though, now it looks more like a scaled model, try straighting them out and making them a bit thinner.
I'm not very good with textures so all I can say about them is that they look good :)
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Thanks to Ranger and Finis I could apply the cross on the sail but now the sail I applied lost some transparency I need to look after that, I think I know what is the problem...

Rendered without Shadow Transparency but the sails are transparent.

I think the textures are much better now!

-----------------

Mikom: Yea as we talked on MSN I'll fix that, I just did the ropes too thick and then after that I couldn't make it thinner (I'll asking for that on tech forum, and marcel seems to solved that, just needs to explain it better), so that's the next thing to do...

-----------------

Comment please
Attachments
texturecaravel_006.jpg
texturecaravel_005.jpg
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Google: cross of the Templars
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Ah Marcel thanks but now I've done it by myself =(

Ok Ship is ready, maybe I still do some changes on strings and things that are connected to the strings but just that... Now I'll start scene composition.
Attachments
texturecaravel_007.jpg
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Ok time is going I need to finish until 26, so I got 3 days left!

I did the caravel and the sea, the rock it will be wrecked, so now I just need to wreck it on the rock, I want to be a super realistic crash, with the strings cut and a lot of broken wood!

Here is where it will happen...
scene_composition-01.jpg
scene_composition-02.jpg
PS: I'll do a vertex of the scene with the ship sailing to the New World!

Also please help me, the shadow cast on the water seems like one cast on the ground (too dark) how can I make shadow that are cast on the water smoother?
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

I like the idea, and love the ship. :) However (here am I, being a jerk again for pointing out the little things) it seems rather unlikely that a ship in a calm sea would just keep going straight for a huge rock that obviously would mean certain doom.
Maybe you should add a little less... what's the word.. "randomness" to the scene. ;)
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

MikomDude wrote:I like the idea, and love the ship. :) However (here am I, being a jerk again for pointing out the little things) it seems rather unlikely that a ship in a calm sea would just keep going straight for a huge rock that obviously would mean certain doom.
Maybe you should add a little less... what's the word.. "randomness" to the scene. ;)
You are right in some way. I was planning something to make this event more ''possible'' but is hard to think about it, like I could put more rocks around it to show like the Caravel entered a ''rocky zone'' and couldn't get away from that one, or I could do huge waves (what wouldn't be realistic because I don't know how) but well someone could give an idea of how make it possible, the final result is the ship wrecked at that rock... I could put the title ''Who Slept at the Helm?''.
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

A ship is usually near land when it hits an unknown reef or rock. It could be that the tide is low.
I would put an island in the background or have the scene in a cove.
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Yeah Steinie that's what usually happens, but then the ship sinks or fall to one of the sides... I'll solve the ''why'' problem later, even because it didn't take too much time.

------------

The problem now is to wreck this ship within 2 days!!! And the only person that can solve this problem is me >.>

Ok I started with the front pole, it will be broken like this:
brokenpole_02.jpg
The black thing on the upper sail will be corrected just now, I just couldn't fix and then wait more 30 min to render (4x, High)...

Now I'll focus on the damages to the hull and structure, then will do the other poles (they will be just damaged).