Rendering Threads problem...

LightWorks, VRay, Dribble, YafaRay and more..
pming
Marine
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Rendering Threads problem...

Post by pming »

Hiya.

What is the maximum number of render threads (via CPU's) that tS7.61b8 can use? When I render with the default Lightworks (I'm assuming it's still the default...last time I bought tS was when v4 was released; tS was my first program...technically tS2 I guess)...where was I? Oh yeah, when I render using the Default Lightworks render engine I get a whole lotta "render lines" that flicker and jitter, but don't actually render anything; I just have a screen full of more or less randomly (but tightly) horizontal grey/white'ish lines.

I'm thinking my main rig here is a bit...uh..."overkill" for it and tS is just too dang old to know what the hell is being thrown at it. Main reason I popped tS7 back on is because of tS's "Iconic Interface" (emphasis on Icon). I don't mind working a bit slower if it's more comfortable for me to work on my Cintiq QHD 27" Touch (suckers so big my keyboard out on the left has my arm almost completely extended!; painful after even 20 minutes).

^_^

Paul L. Ming
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Rendering Threads problem...

Post by bitkar »

I have 8 core / 16 threads CPU and Lightworks uses all 16 threads. Vray aswell. I think the limit would be pretty high, if there is some. It works pretty well.
I think the problem is elsewhere, it shall render normally. You can try to switch the multithreading off just to test that issue. Maybe try reinstalling tS or something.

What are your HW and OS specs?
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

All the lines means that you are rendering with many threads. It must be a display issue. Try switching from D3D to OpenGL. You can also render to a file instead of the screen to see if it comes out ok.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Agree with Clintonman. Looks like it isn't a number of threads issue.

If you are using the LightWorks renderer the horizontal lines appear with raycast method selected. The other method (raytrace?, haven't used TS in a long time) does one line at a time. You could switch to that and see if it renders better.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

raytrace/scanline will do nothing. But ya, try to switch to openGL if you have some display issues also when working. DX7 cannot handle more than like 2000px wide window. But you would see that not only when rendering.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)