Yafaray Truespace God Rays

LightWorks, VRay, Dribble, YafaRay and more..
FHembree
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Yafaray Truespace God Rays

Post by FHembree »

I have been experimenting to see if I can get yafaray to render god rays.
In truespace for yafaray this was not added as part of the addon.
I know you can do it in blender with yafaray, but TS does not have this option in the yafaray add-on for truespace.
I searched the internet for some sample files on the internet but could not find any that worked in blender. I did a lot of searching and finally found a yafaray manual that has a lot of
information on the settings for yafaray and it has information on how to set up volumetrics for rendering in blender. After I was able to create a file in blender and set up volumetrics
per the manual, it rendered correctly. You have basically have to create a box shape around your scene and set the box to be a volumetric region. Once I got that to work I then deleted everything in
the blender scene except the volumetric region and then exported the yafaray render to an XML file. Long story short, I then exported a truespace scene to a XML file and basically added
the information for the volumetric region to the truespace file and executed the Yaf_render.cmd file to render the truespace XML file to an image. I had to do some fine tuning for light power setting
and the AA passes, but I was very happy to find that it actually worked. It renders in only about 45 seconds. :bananamouse:

I have attached images of the truespace scene and the yafaray rendering. I will make myself some basic notes so I can remember the basic steps and then I will also try experimenting with trying to do the same with FOG in truespace.

First though I want to experiment with using a mesh light object with volume enabled for rendering some ts scenes.
Attachments
God_rays_yaf_test-03.jpg
TS_Scene_Capture.jpg
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Yafaray Truespace God Rays

Post by clintonman »

Maybe this can help
"YafRay 0.1.2 beta scene showing volumetrics/fog"
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4343&p=42356&hilit=yafaray#p42356
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
FHembree

Post by FHembree »

Yes, that does help. :)

I was doing it the hard way, but that's OK, you learn a lot sometimes doing thing the difficult way.

I don't understand where you got the yafaray volume cube from. :?: It not in my library?
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

FHembree wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 03:53 Yes, that does help. :)

I was doing it the hard way, but that's OK, you learn a lot sometimes doing thing the difficult way.

I don't understand where you got the yafaray volume cube from. :?: It not in my library?
From the help file "The YafarayVolume.RsObj can be found in the YafaRay4tS Setup library."
I think that library should have been copied during installation of Yafaray.
Clinton Reese

FHembree

Post by FHembree »

clintonman wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 04:57
FHembree wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 03:53 Yes, that does help. :)

From the help file "The YafarayVolume.RsObj can be found in the YafaRay4tS Setup library."
I think that library should have been copied during installation of Yafaray.
I'm not sure what help file you are referring to. There isn't one in my installation and the only one I have other than Blenders help file, is Jack Edwards Yafaray for truespace.
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

FHembree wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 01:26 I'm not sure what help file you are referring to. There isn't one in my installation and the only one I have other than Blenders help file, is Jack Edwards Yafaray for truespace.
YafarayHelp.jpg
YafarayHelp.jpg (33.66 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
That's interesting. Image shows the manual/help button.

Edit: I did some searching and I think you may be using an older version of Yafaray4tS. The volume rendering was added later in version 0.7.5 beta.
http://www.yafaray4ts.org/forum/index.p ... ,42.0.html
The last version, 0.8.0, released is here:
https://united3dartists.com/forum/v ... f=9&t=5042
Clinton Reese