IBL - False GI... in realtime

LightWorks, VRay, Dribble, YafaRay and more..
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

IBL - False GI... in realtime

Post by Draise »

After working on my new 3D space, I got inspired to make a false IBL light rig. Or a false GI light rig.

The theory is that you take a whole bunch of Projector lights with a similar light setup to the false AO light rig. Once you have that setup, you use it's projection with bitmap transformation and blurs to create a realistic falst IBL light rig or false GI light rig. I am thinking to use cube environment maps to start working with.
Last edited by Draise on 03 Jun 2012, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Draise
Captain

Re: False GI in realtime

Post by Draise »

There.. A result!
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

For something in realtime, it works!

it does have the AO abilities in it, tho not as high detailed as my second AO light rig. But mixed with both of them you can get good results. The render times are very low, and you see result immediately. For final render tho, i recommend upping the sample rate of the shadows tho..

The results are awesome!!

Also the environment image is restricted to 512x512 pixles. But that's ok for now. Not sure how to make a percentage interpolater so that something can grab the total size, then redistribute the zoom of the image by the percentage of pixles of the total image size... at the moment I have hand done the percentages to an image of 512 pixles.

Also i have a feature of bluring the image to get a softer colour distribution. But all the images are at a detail level of 1.

All done on the WS side!
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Added another light to see what it would look like.. It's very beautiful...
Peter
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Re: IBL - False GI... in realtime

Post by Peter »

This is fantastic.
I tried to do this and was a tiny bit successful. In the end I abandoned the idea.
My problem was that when I moved an object (by hand or by animating). the patterns from the projectors flickered across the surface, I guess from the pixels. It broke the illusion completely. Maybe the blurring you add fixes this. I'd be very interested if you shared your technique. ;)
a day without orange juice is like... a day without orange juice
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

That's pretty nice Draise.

Is there IBL in workspace? If so, what are some render times to compare them?
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

Image Base Lighting. :bananacool2:
Attachments
IBL.jpg
Walk by faith, not by sight.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Peter wrote:This is fantastic.
I tried to do this and was a tiny bit successful. In the end I abandoned the idea.
My problem was that when I moved an object (by hand or by animating). the patterns from the projectors flickered across the surface, I guess from the pixels. It broke the illusion completely. Maybe the blurring you add fixes this. I'd be very interested if you shared your technique. ;)
YES! My plan is to share the light rig to you guys. I am still perfecting it, and would like to give dynamic image map sizes to it, but I am not sure how I can make a relative pixel read-in with percentage redistribution zoomed patches of the bitmap to a semi spherical projection in all projectors..

The blur does get rid of the broken illusion with the pixels, tho without at the lowest setting had no problem. I also had to change the projection of each projector to a 1D double gradient, instead of the Gaussian circle it had. Maybe that is what caused issues.

Finis wrote:That's pretty nice Draise.

Is there IBL in workspace? If so, what are some render times to compare them?
There is no IBL in workspace to compare... (Also the area light is a little flawed. My next plan is to make a good area light rig also.) But this IBL light rig is reasonably fast, immediate. Unless you crank up the shadows to simulate a high quality AO then things can slow down quite a bit because of high samples. But that is only needed for final renders, and even at those settings, depending on your pc, you still can run at 15 frames a second, maybe if all else is final render quality high, maybe at 3 to 5 frames a second.

When ready, I'll upload it! Or would you like the current version for 512x512 IBL light rig?
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I have decided to release my AO+IBL light rig. It works much better than my AO light rig because it uses the projector lights.

A key of practice again is to start with low Sample values, Map Size values and Filter values to get the desired result, increasing until you are happy with it or until you video card can't take it anymore.

Download AO+IBL light rig 1.0