Truespace 4.3 Physics Simulation Time Scale?

zzador
Petty Officer Second Class
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Truespace 4.3 Physics Simulation Time Scale?

Post by zzador »

Hello everybody,

I'm currently playing around with the physics simulator in TS4.3 and I'm rendering all the simulated animations to disc (*.avi). When watching these clips it is very clear that all the physic simulations look like they were filmed in slow motion. I tried many parameters for steps_per_frame and also the frame-rate of the animation but it remains always a slow motion animation. Is there a way to set the time-scale for the physics simulation in TrueSpace?
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe...
the rise & fall of MS-DOS. The birth of Windows 3.11. Professional 3D Software getting usable in the late 90s and getting unusable again around 2010. Telephones with a dial and so much more...
zzador
Petty Officer Second Class

Re: Truespace 4.3 Physics Simulation Time Scale?

Post by zzador »

Ok, after consulting that magic thinking orb on top of my shoulders I came up with the solution myself.

My problem was the following:

I have a couple of 8mm diameter steel balls on my table to play around. I let them bounce and observed their bouncing. Then I modelled a scene in Truespace with 3 balls, gave them all the physical props of iron and let them bounce too. After rendering however the balls would bounc much slower (like in slow motion).

My mistake:

I had made the balls too big. Every simulated ball had 1 meter diameter. After reducing all the balls to approx 1cm diameter, resimulating and rerendering the bouncing effect looks now like reality reference.
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe...
the rise & fall of MS-DOS. The birth of Windows 3.11. Professional 3D Software getting usable in the late 90s and getting unusable again around 2010. Telephones with a dial and so much more...
spacekdet
Captain
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Re: Truespace 4.3 Physics Simulation Time Scale?

Post by spacekdet »

Cross post to 'Asked and Answered'
Good job!