Notes and Scene View for workspace

trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Notes and Scene View for workspace

Post by trueBlue »

Sounds like Parenting is superior to Encapsulation and more user friendly
The only thing I find not user friendly is the knowing which object is the Parent (without using the Link Editor)
I have in the past selected the wrong parent (last selected object) before Parenting or Unparenting
What might be helpful, is adding a connecter/attribute (Parent) that would be more visible and could be checked with scripting. Much like your selection locking
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by clintonman »

You don't need to select the parent when unparenting. You can see parenting structure in the web based Scene View.

You can also parent and unparent using the web based scene view.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 17:42 ...but it seems that deleting the user's predefined ORA nodes and or Workspace Layers setups may not be a very good idea
I've been doing some testing and the Hide Show scripts in UU are deleting the user's predefined ORA nodes.
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

Show and Hide scripts

Code: Select all

// Model removes the Object_Name connector for Lights
if(Node.Exists(Sel + "/Object Render Attributes") && Node.IsLight(Sel) && !Node.ConExists(Sel + "/Object Render Attributes", "Object_Name")) {
		util.Delete(Sel + "/Object Render Attributes")
The comment above
"Model removes the Object_Name connector for Lights"

I do not think that Model removes the Object_Name connector for Lights
In fact, I do not think Model's ORA settings in the Object Panel even work with Lights
I just tested a workspace Spot light

Edit: In addition to the above, I now see two other places in these scripts that delete the ORA panel
I am all for this to be fixed
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

MeshOverlayColor.jpg

Looking at the ORA node to try to fix some of the show/hide problems and found the overlay color setting.
"Overlay Color" with the space and "OverlayStrength" controls the effect. Strength of 1 completely covers the original color.
"Ignore mesh overlay color" turns it on and off.
All the other overlay controls don't seem to do anything.

I was attempting to copy the ORA node values and several connectors have bad values, causing errors when you try to read them. I think it might be fixed by setting values and saving over the preobjects "ObjectAttributes2.RsObj" and "ObjectAttributes.RsObj"

As far as fixes I'm creating 2 versions of show/hide for the scene view page. One only sets the value of the Invisible and the plan is to add the ability to change RA node to an ORA node and copy the ORA values from the ancestor node. This will make it possible to hide subobjects and still maintain all the ORA values. The second version will be more like the current UU show/hide with hopefully some fixes to help preserve ORA settings. In the scene view the show/hide icons have click for the soft versions and ctrl+click for the harsh versions. The main goal is to make the harsh versions less harsh.
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

It's looking hopeful. The "harsh" show/hide is a little less harsh. When used it will either read and save it's own ORA values or the ORA values of it's ancestor ORA and write those values back at the end. It will still overwrite any descendant ORA values. The "soft" show/hide are maintaining all the ORA values unless it has the RA node and descendants with an ORA node. It's not perfect. It is less damaging to ORA values and may be the most practical solution.
More testing is needed and I think the soft needs to check for descendant ORAs and abort if it finds any.

TODO list:
soft show/hide check for descendant ORA nodes to avoid changing them
reorganize the show/hide code so it's less confusing and remove any unneeded bits
check NURBS again with all the new changes
option to verify delete nodes outside of the scene
web page scroll is jumping - need to maintain scroll value
newer rsx plugin still needs to be added
prep to publish the parenting/grouping toolbar since it seems stable now
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

clintonman wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 01:20 I was attempting to copy the ORA node values and several connectors have bad values, causing errors when you try to read them. I think it might be fixed by setting values and saving over the preobjects "ObjectAttributes2.RsObj" and "ObjectAttributes.RsObj"
I used your Copy Attributes script using the ObjectAttributes.RsObj as a Source and a Cube's ORA for the Destination
Everything transferred over without any errors
ORA copied attribs.png
I tried the Default values first and then modified values shown in the above pic
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 21:43
clintonman wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 01:20 I was attempting to copy the ORA node values and several connectors have bad values, causing errors when you try to read them. I think it might be fixed by setting values and saving over the preobjects "ObjectAttributes2.RsObj" and "ObjectAttributes.RsObj"
I used your Copy Attributes script using the ObjectAttributes.RsObj as a Source and a Cube's ORA for the Destination
Everything transferred over without an errors
ORA copied attribs.png
I tried the Default values first and then modified values shown in the above pic
Copy Attributes script has a try catch so any error values are skipped. I ended up doing the same for the scene view show/hide scripts.
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

I used System.Trace("Failed to copy " + connector[0]);

} catch(e) {
System.Trace("Failed to copy " + connector[0]);
Edit: I see the errors now
Only the Overlay attributes
Edit2: Cannot seem to fix it
Edit3: I think I fixed it
Arrows note changes from Original
Saved ORA.png
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 22:15 I used System.Trace("Failed to copy " + connector[0]);

} catch(e) {
System.Trace("Failed to copy " + connector[0]);
Edit: I see the errors now
Only the Overlay attributes
Edit2: Cannot seem to fix it
Edit3: I think I fixed it
Arrows note changes from Original
Saved ORA.png
Changing the preobject files didn't do anything for me. I think the problem is you would have to fix it everywhere it's used. It looks like all the primitives inside the Preferences have ORA nodes with bad values. Maybe the same for cameras and lights too. I did a test and changed the ORA inside the Cube primitive preferences and the ORA looked good when creating a cube in the scene.

I wonder if all the non-working overlay stuff is legacy or if it's used somewhere.
Clinton Reese