Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: New NURBS tools

Post by trueBlue »

Looking great!
The NURBSToolbar is going to be about four feet long. :mrgreen:
clintonman wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 05:45
Grouping doesn't work for these NURBS objects. Parenting also doesn't work. So these will need some kind of custom grouping.
Are you going to make a NURBS to 3D Object script?
Seems that would solve the Grouping issue.

I notice the Remove isoParm geometry from a NURBS patch is destructive at the seams
Remove ISO.png
Remove ISO.png (15.31 KiB) Viewed 225 times

clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by clintonman »

NURBS to polygon mesh is in the plan. For trueSpace I don't see NURBS as the final result for most things, but as a start for polygon or maybe even subdivision surface models.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 16:47

I notice the Remove isoParm geometry from a NURBS patch is destructive at the seams
Remove ISO.png
I don't see that as a problem. If you can convince me it is a problem, I'll add an option to protect the outside boundary from deletion.
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

If you do not see removing 25% of the mesh as a problem, I am not sure what to say.
I am able to undo it by pressing Undo 3 or 4 times.
On another note, I find it cumbersome to always have to select context mode, because several NURBS scripts change the selection mode to vertex or edge. I get that you need to process vertices and or edges, but it seems, in the end of the process, that you should change it to context mode and or restore the users selection mode. Your controls have vertices (points) and edges (handles), so I can not select a Handle unless I change back to context mode. Or I am always getting an Alert that I am not selecting the right element.

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

And if you do want to remove 25% ?
Don't forget NURBS have 4 sides they're not closed even if they are folded into a cylinder shape. The only situation this would come up is from using the primitives where it's not clear where the patch starts and ends. So there are plenty of situations where you might want to remove the end isoparm/isoline .
The U, V and start indicators show where the NURBS starts and it's orientation so if you delete an isoline you know you're looking at a boundary edge.
In any case I had the idea of having a warning when removing a boundary edge with the option to turn it off so you don't get tS complaining all the time.

I'll be using isoline term in the future because that's what tS modelside uses, isoparm is from Maya.

I'm starting the "clean the awkward workflow" stage of testing now. So I'll keep the selection type changes in mind.
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

Thanks!
Do you see any value and could you use Model's NURBS with your scripts, if I created a NURBS primtives tool for Workspace?
NURBS Cylinder.png

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 21:34
Thanks!
Do you see any value and could you use Model's NURBS with your scripts, if I created a NURBS primtives tool for Workspace?
NURBS Cylinder.png
I don't think so. The NURBS coming from model side are baked down to polygon meshes in workspace and the result of workspace commands for making NURBS can't be edited with point edit tools.
NURBSpatchElements.jpg

Here is the insides of the home made NURBS patch.
The contolPointMesh is what gets edited or transformed in the scene.
The CP to Patch CP holds the U and V control point counts and gets the vertices from the controlPointMesh for the next step.
The Points to Patch node come from the Clintons3D rsx plugin and converts the vertices along with the U and V counts into a NURBS patch.
From there it feeds the NURBSToMesh and the rest of the nodes that make the visible patch.

I'm going to try to find a way to not have the MeshDoubleSided node. Without it the final mesh is only visible from 1 side. If I can't find a mesh setting for double sided I'll try to see if a double sided material is an option.
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

Instead of the Select CP Mesh button.
How about Edit CP Mesh button?
Add
MeshModifiers.ActivatePointEditWidget('','','Default');
to the button script

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

worked on some stuff, no pictures to show
point to point and object to object modified to work with nurbs
tested mesh origin script - it has some issues but it works so changes can come later
the uv indicator has the U and V at the end of the line instead of near the front - makes it easier to see the directions
skin curves into patches now has a close option to skin back to the first curve selected
rail and birail have automatic curve flipping - before the U and V directions of the curves had to be carefully organized before running the tools
extrude, remove isoline, split patch and select isoline preserve the point edit selection mode
found that grouping does work for nurbs as long as the full nurbs object is selected, not the control point mesh
added a utility function for automatically selecting the control point mesh, so it can be easily edited and transformed
found the scene setting, "Show backfaces", so double sided faces aren't needed anymore, except that selecting snapping with the double sided is easier

at this point i'm ready to try another nurbs tutorial to see how smoothly these tools work
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

I am updating your Select script to include selecting NURBS & Curves
Select.png
Select.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 205 times
For the NURBS script I am using

Code: Select all

if(!Node.IsLight(subobj) && !Node.IsCamera(subobj) && Node.ConExists(subobj, "U precision"))
For the Curves script I am using

Code: Select all

if(!Node.IsLight(subobj) && !Node.IsCamera(subobj) && Node.ConExists(subobj, "CurvePosition"))
Would this be correct and is there anything else that could be addded?