Octaine render is 49 euros for 1 week only

nigec
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Octaine render is 49 euros for 1 week only

Post by nigec »

is there a commercial renderer that can do effectswise what Vue can in such a short space of time?
The Thea guys held off on GPU because it is still to young and the core programming is constantly changing, this probably why Octaine is stuck in this limbo where its not progressing very fast, and sh*t loads of pressure to get it done, it went open beta way to early and it shows
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Meki wrote:Those are some nice renders Rayman. Im sure when I can aford $895 ill look in to getting a better render program. Obviously there are many different render programs out there and octaine is still in beta so not all its features are implamented. I just posted it for anyone who was interested.
I´m not certain where you get the information from that one has to shell out $895 to get a decent render engine.
Vue Esprit can be get for $ 199....... Kerythea is free and Thea is around same price as Esprit.....
The problem I see in Octaine is that while being very fast your artistically limited..... you dont have the same amount of possibilities yet.
but its good for fast visualisations...
But the technology is rapidly growing and I´m keeping an eye on it.The next generation will be some very serious piece of kit... and will
let you render animations in a fraction of the time that conventional cpu based soft can do.....
Peter
marcel
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by marcel »

Don't forget it is not a real time render. It is an hybrid between real time and classic render. The interest is the software render the final image from a classic real time render to a final render by different step alone and stop the render when you move or change the scene, then it continue the render. That remember me some soft to draw fractals. By this way, more your gpu are good more you can work with an enhanced quality. you can try different setting (cam, text, light) without the need to wait to render a photorealistic image. This kind of software need a very good gpu (gtx 480 or more :mrgreen: ) to have the benefit of the features.
Also, the example on the site of octane are awesome but it is only marketing: they need a lot of work for the modeling and texture to have this quality. And this work is not made with octane but by artists and other soft. I think this render engine can be a good tool for the soft who have the plugins. As an external render engine, it have less interest because if you want to change something on the scene, you need to return to your soft, edit the scene and export again to octane. You never work with this way: "modeling ---> texturing ---> rendering" but like this: "modeling, rendering, texturing, rendering, lighting, rendering, modeling, etc..."
It is why i prefer an integrated render engine like lightwork, Vray in TS or many other render engine directly integrated in a software (vue, max, etc...). Octane as an integrated render engine will be a good tool. The only problem is we need a kind of hardware (cuda) and we don't choose other thing. All you work depend of the futur of another companie (like TS with Microsoft). nobody don't know how will be the hardware in a few year...
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

marcel wrote: nobody don't know how will be the hardware in a few year...
Yup thats the reason why I stick to my trusted workflow.......
I dont want to experiment that much.What I have works very well ... Does not limit myself artistically in any way....
and works with what computer I have right now! A very good and valid point Marcel.
I want to get something out of what I have right now.
You probably spend $49 on the "beta" software right now and $ 2000 on hardware to work it(well). :)
And those expenses are not future - proof..... ;)
Peter
nigec

Post by nigec »

I agree :)
Check out there two scenes, one vehicle and a displaced plane
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... 83&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meki
Petty Officer Third Class

Post by Meki »

Just in case anyone was interested I'm using a GeForce GTS 250 1GB (£100)and octane works well. I don't think you need the fastest video card onthe market to get this to work, but I guess it would improve speeds. It does have a device manager within octane where you can choose what video cards you have installed, to use. This means you could have a dedicated card/s to to your rendering with and use the other to keep your system running and do other stuff at the same time. I haven't compared the renders with other rendering programs for speed and quality, you can judge for yourselves.
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

It would be interesting to show what you can render from a truespace scene, how work the import, how is the compatiblility, etc...
New soft is always interesting to discover. My video card is not compatible with octane, i can't test it and what i see on their website seem too beautifull to be real. The best is to test with "normal" people and "normal" hardware to have a "normal" idea of what we can real do. I do not trust marketing. ;)
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
Meki
Petty Officer Third Class

Post by Meki »

That is a good idea marcel have you got any scenes you would like to see rendered? If so I'll do it for you and post the results. At the moment it only takes one obj at a time so if you want a big scene it needs all to be one object.
nigec

Post by nigec »

I agree with you there Marcel, while I was beta testing Thea I was up against guys with custom build machines designed for modeling and rendering, plus their raw talent these guys did it for a living, I gave up trying to render pretty pictures and focused on trying to break Thea instead.

If you look around a lot of the commercial render systems have a scene to torture the software, I have a Maxwell GI buster if you want to give it a try :)
nigec

Post by nigec »

here's the scene in obj format
the idea is you add a camera in the scene pointing at the far wall and mat white shaders, using only sun and physical sky render the scene and see how long it takes you can alter render setting but not gamma correction and other color corrections, or camera shutter speed etc
the aim is to get the best possible render in the shortest time..
then add SSS and other difficult shaders to the tea pot
Attachments
scene.zip
(249.66 KiB) Downloaded 306 times