Octaine render is 49 euros for 1 week only

tylerzambori
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Re: Octaine render is 49 euros for 1 week only

Post by tylerzambori »

Well, I have it, and am hoping for the best. There is no
hardware or software that will always be future proof, right now.
Meki
Petty Officer Third Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Meki »

Well there is 6 hours left for the deal. Here are some renders of the scene nigec posted Im not sure what they are supposed to look like, hopfully I did the right thing. I'll try and do some more if I have time. Whenever you render there isn't a time limit, you just stop it when you are happy with the result. I did let the directlighting one go on for 1hour 20 mins and there wasn't a difference between that and the 40 mins one. The program only used 200mb of system memory and about 30% cpu, only about 30mb of graphics card memory but all of its processing power. So as I only have 1 card it takes up the computer for the duration. However it does have a pause button so anytime I like I can pause the render. It would be handy to have a second card but my rig won't fit another.
Attachments
pathtracing_40mins.png
directlighting_5mins.png
nigec
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by nigec »

cool.. I'll try with Thea shortly, my XP partition decided it wanted to commit sucide, so the only Thea I have on Vista is an old beta that the license has run out on :/
Benji

Post by Benji »

The open hostility towards any renderer that isn't Thea or Vue is ruining this forum imo.

While I agree that CPU rendering is far from over, the trolling in these threads is becoming ridiculous. It's an issue for another thread, if at all, this one was merely a post about a current sale.
nigec
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by nigec »

I dunno, I think any bias is directed in Vray's favour within the community, the others are just available options, I've seen more user commercial viable work in Thea than in Octaine.

Actually Meki's renders of the scene I posted are a lot better than I saw done with Fry and Maxwell, up to now its better than what I can do in Thea, but I'm using a pissy slow PC, so hats off to yeah lol

My arguement is really Octaine is no where near done at this moment in time, and battling with new tech, limited badly to the machines it can be used on, Thea and any other commercial renderer will work on anything within reason.
Then again I guess you can argue GPU renderers will come more cost effective if you do animation, less need for huge render farms etc
OK I am bias in favour of Thea but I used KT for a long time and ended up as a tester
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

@benji, I don't really see anything I would call "open hostility" anywhere here.

I do see people presenting their opinions and defending them which I think is part of a healthy debate on rendering tools as well as anything else.

One thing we all need to keep in mind is that sometimes the language used appears to be stronger than necessary but the writing in many of these cases is from individuals using English as a second language. The intent of these posts is to emphasize a point or to ensure a clear message within the context of how these folks use language. I ran into this issue often working in a multilingual environment and had to spend time repairing some relationships that were unnecessarily damaged. Ultimately we need to focus on the message and I haven't seen anyone here (except one or two that have been booted) with a hostile bone in their system.

On the subject of Octaine... I just can't afford to pick it up right now. It does look interesting but I promised my wife to stop collecting software cuz it's cool... :D
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Benji wrote:The open hostility towards any renderer that isn't Thea or Vue is ruining this forum imo.

While I agree that CPU rendering is far from over, the trolling in these threads is becoming ridiculous. It's an issue for another thread, if at all, this one was merely a post about a current sale.
Why should there be any hostility against any rendere engine at all ?
Maxwell, Kerythea, Thea , Vue and Vray just happen to be the only ones to be standalone and the Truespace user dont have that many options
apart from lightworks and virtuallight and Yafaray.and Dribble.......
There´s not that many people who make plugins anymore so there´s no choice anymore anyways.
The gpu based software is limited in what it can do but is awsome in speed thats all and it needs good hardware.......
There´s a lot of good render engines and good software with render engines......... Modo is great ... Lightwave has a great render engine
so is Pixar Renderman way on top........
Benji

Post by Benji »

epic :roll:
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Benji wrote:epic :roll:
epic ? :roll:

http://www.refractivesoftware.com/forum ... f=5&t=1944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tesla 1060 is around $1100 the C2070 will be around $4K ;)
Last edited by RAYMAN on 07 Jun 2010, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
Benji

Post by Benji »

Okay, for those who don't get it, please replace my last post with the following:

:roll: