Near-future Star Trek ship - Yorktown

MikomDude
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Near-future Star Trek ship - Yorktown

Post by MikomDude »

Here is the near future trek ship finished. She was quite the project but it was a fun one.

This one took about two weeks for both the exterior and interior. She is a fairly detailed ship with a detailed hull, fully modeled bridge as well as about 42 individual smaller cabins behind those windows.
NX-3513_01.jpg
NX-3513_03.jpg
NX-3513_04.jpg
NX-3513_05.jpg

The Bridge:
Bridge_03.jpg
yorktownbridge.jpg
RAYMAN
Captain

Re: Near-future Star Trek ship - Yorktown

Post by RAYMAN »

A very nice spaceship Mikomdude!
You mentioned that it doesnt pay off to do that kind of work for the site there and you might stop doing it and focussing more on weapon design etc...!
Well rethink that! That kind of object can me made much more easily and much faster through and with a very good nurbs or cad software! It plays well with Truespace too nowadays since you can import basic sds objects through obj into nurbs! They allow to cut into your mesh and add your room in much more easily...! A very difficult task in a poly engine! Much much easier to work with curves rather then polys! A lot faster!
Downside is that the mesh might not have a super all quad topo but in 99% of all cases incl games its no big deal since you dont rig the meshes of spaceships..!
MikomDude
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by MikomDude »

RAYMAN wrote: 06 May 2021, 17:08 That kind of object can me made much more easily and much faster through and with a very good nurbs or cad software! It plays well with Truespace too nowadays since you can import basic sds objects through obj into nurbs! They allow to cut into your mesh and add your room in much more easily...! A very difficult task in a poly engine! Much much easier to work with curves rather then polys! A lot faster!
Downside is that the mesh might not have a super all quad topo but in 99% of all cases incl games its no big deal since you dont rig the meshes of spaceships..!
Yeah I've considered switching to Moi3D for making the base mesh for most of my models. However making the basemesh is far from the most time consuming part of these projects, the basemesh takes ~4-5 hours max and the most time consuming parts are revisions, detailing, materials & texturing and making the interior.
The best part of only using trueSpace for modeling is that I don't need to commit the sub-division until most of the detailing is complete, making revisions to the base-mesh possible even after a week of work. This would be considerably harder if it was an imported non-sds mesh.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

nope its not about the base mesh!
You also make the details pretty fast in nurbs since different from Truespace those of other apps also support nurbs booleans! You then just subtract the rooms and details away from your basemesh thats the fast part of it....export it as a Sketchup file and slide your prefabed details as components away from your interiors...!
You can also instead use Blender then and kitops!
Same procedure! The whole cokpit can be made outside of the model and subtracted by bool operation from the basemesh..same every single room in the body!
Poly booleans mess up the meshes nurbs booleans dont they cut precisely..since the mesh is built later by the nurbs mesher!
Your windscrean or cockpit screen is just the trimmed surface! Very very simple stuff!