Bat - The Viking

MikomDude
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Bat - The Viking

Post by MikomDude » 12 Nov 2011, 21:17

Time for me to get back to making a bit more complex models so here is a new 3D project I'm working on. This is bat, the design is based on a toy I've have since I was (probably) 4 or 5 years old, he is called Bat because he is a bat (I wasn't very good at making up names when I was 5, I also had a mouse, and guess what he was called...).
Later I sometimes also called him Bat the Viking, after I moved to Sweden 9 years ago.

This is sort of the first concept for Bat the Viking that I drew last year.
And this the beginning of the model, based on the toy without his outfit. Note that the wings, feet, claws, etc will all be completely remade into slightly more realistic looking bodyparts.

I hope to be able to create a fantasy-type model that has a nice amount of detail, I also plan on adding fur but I still have to figure out how to do that in trueSpace.

More updates will come :)

MikomDude
Captain

Re: Bat - The Viking

Post by MikomDude » 13 Nov 2011, 01:53

Here is a little update. I'll continue tomorrow. :)
Full view

MikomDude
Captain

Bat - The Viking

Post by MikomDude » 13 Nov 2011, 17:58

Another update:

And his sword:

I've also figured out how to add fur using Blender, this does mean however that I need to do the render in Blender as well. Considering I also still have to paint him in Sculptris there is a lot of exporting and importing ahead of me.

MikomDude
Captain

Bat - The Viking Update

Post by MikomDude » 13 Nov 2011, 21:46

Here is the last update without fur. Blender, here I come!

Fullview

bitkar
Commander

Post by bitkar » 14 Nov 2011, 11:33

lol, cute
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)

MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude » 14 Nov 2011, 20:32

bitkar wrote:lol, cute

Here is a little WIP image I made for my blog.
Fullview
I'm still figuring out how the get the fur looking right in Blender and then I also have to learn some basic rendering skills in Blender. Hopefully I will be able to post a new update soon.

By the way, if anyone thinks making a Bat viking is the strangest idea anyone has ever had in the history of modeling, please feel free to state so. :bananadevil:

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise » 14 Nov 2011, 22:08

LMAO! Indeed, is he gonna have a helmet with horns? How'd the hair go?

MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude » 14 Nov 2011, 22:18

Hehe, I was thinking about adding a helmet but then I would have to remove his ears and that wouldn't really be fair to him as a bat since bats use their ears just as much as their eyes for seeing. I like to keep it somewhat realistic. In fact, his belt was a nightmare to design, I wanted him to be able to fly as well as have a belt he could strap his sword to so I had to come up with that special belt that hangs slightly loose along his body and wings, I'm kinda proud of that actually. :)

As for the hair, look here for my first test render. It looks ok but I think the texture applied to the hair is a bit mixed up and I haven't been able to fix that. ;)

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise » 14 Nov 2011, 22:59

Yeah, looks like the bomb! The hair on the body really really turned out quite well! Hehe, yeah the belt thing is smashing. Do you think a helmet with big holes would work? I could make for you if you want. =P

MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude » 14 Nov 2011, 23:38

Actually I have already started on the hair around the ears and face, I think it would look much better if he did not have a helmet that covered parts of his face though if I'm going to make some kind of animation with this little character, I might model a helmet and shield. Blender has so much fun to offer but it's a really hard program to get the hang of.
Right now I'm just taking a little brain from all this thinking, feels like my brain got totally overheated when I was busy with that particle system... :lol: