New My Design Logo

trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: New My Design Logo

Post by trueBlue »

:bananathumb:
How did you do your avatar.gif with such a smooth animation and under the file size limit?
The avatar filesize must be between 0 and 48 KiB
MikomDude
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by MikomDude »

trueBlue wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 02:37 :bananathumb:
How did you do your avatar.gif with such a smooth animation and under the file size limit?
I was gonna say I used an external link in the past but apparently that doesn't seem possible anymore on the forums and it is hosted on U3DA.com, on top of that the file is 44 kb so... I used magic I guess?
:lol:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's some clever Gimp trickery optimising the GIF and manually controlling the frame-rate per frame, that's how I usually do the loops. Also there aren't exactly that many colours so I guess that helps reduce the filesize as well. I orginally created the avatar for my ModDB profile many years ago.
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

MikomDude wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 09:34
I was gonna say I used an external link in the past but apparently that doesn't seem possible anymore on the forums and it is hosted on U3DA.com, on top of that the file is 44 kb so... I used magic I guess?

Actually I'm pretty sure it's some clever Gimp trickery optimising the GIF and manually controlling the frame-rate per frame, that's how I usually do the loops. Also there aren't exactly that many colours so I guess that helps reduce the filesize as well. I orginally created the avatar for my ModDB profile many years ago.
https://ezgif.com/apng-maker
Gimp can do animation?
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

trueBlue wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 14:31
MikomDude wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 09:34

https://ezgif.com/apng-maker
Gimp can do animation?
I love animated PNGs, shame they never caught on. I used to make them and send them to friends, they'd freak out because they didn't expect a png to move.

Yeah Gimp does animation, basically it just takes the layer stack and treats them as individual frames. Try importing my avatar into Gimp and you'll see.

There's a plugin for Gimp that lets you export animated PNGs as well.
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

Thank you!
I see now, you are only animating your circular/compass/arrow/mask/thingy
Where, I am animating the same image, slightly rotated
Just testing the water
trueBlueAnim2.gif
trueBlueAnim2.gif (82.55 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
I need do get way more creative to get the file size 50% lower
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

trueBlue wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 17:18 Thank you!
I see now, you are only animating your circular/compass/arrow/mask/thingy
Where, I am animating the same image, slightly rotated
Just testing the water
trueBlueAnim2.gif
I need do get way more creative to get the file size 50% lower
You can run Gimp > Filters > Optimise (For Gif/Difference) althought it looks like you already did something like that.
Generally it really depends on the complexity of your layers and the amount of pixels per layer that need to be drawn. Reducing the number of colours through Colours > Posterize also works to reduce filesize in some cases.

Personally, again, I would have wanted apng's to have caught on and become the new norm and now webp seems to be the new standard trying to prove itself. We'll see how .webp does, I personally wish it the best, but I feel like gif's are still the current standard with some services, like Twitter actually converting gif's to .mp4 in order to remain compatible and keep the filesize down.