Railroad Crossing

tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Railroad Crossing

Post by tahnoak »

Taking a break from the alley to look at it with fresh eyes. I am trying to step out of my comfort zone and do some real modeling. Not that this one is overly complex but it has been a challenge for me.

I am going to try and animate this one as well to make the gate come down and the counterbalance go up.

I am actually learning a lot about crossing gates during this research. I never knew there were so many people who were crazy about RR crossings :D
Attachments
Gate2.jpg
tahnoak

Re: Railroad Crossing

Post by tahnoak »

Trying to integrate my modeling into Vue which has caused me quite the delay as I figure Vue out. Here are a couple of updated screenies on my progress. Surprisingly I have not gotten bored or frustrated with this scene yet despite the set backs. Maybe I am finally growing up :)

I know I have some modelling tweaks to do but thus far I am happy with the results. Ultimately I want it to be a small town railroad crossing, maybe animated with the arms going down and the typical railroad sounds, probably out in the country somewhere which is why I wanted to port it to Vue for the ability to add the Ecosystem.

The pole in the middle looks black but that is just the shadow that is being cast on it.
Attachments
RR2.jpg
RR3.jpg
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

This is surprising subject matter which caused me to think
"why didn't I think of this..."
Looks good so far and I can't wait to see what you do next.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

It never crossed my mind until I sat waiting for a train to pass one day and I was just staring at the crossing gate. The detail and the overall symmetry of the pieces got my attention and then my mind wandered and then they honked at me cuz the train was done :D

I find myself actually trying to catch a glimpse each time I pass one and what is even worse is that I can almost identify the model and manufacturer now :)
Karthogen

Post by Karthogen »

Very nicely done. the details are nice.
nigec

Post by nigec »

tahnoak wrote:
I find myself actually trying to catch a glimpse each time I pass one and what is even worse is that I can almost identify the model and manufacturer now :)
As long as you don't stop to look at one on the WRONG side :shock:
Nicely done :)
Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

Well done tahnoak. I have been waiting a long time for you to develop an image outside of your "comfort zone" and must admit to being very impressed with what you have done so far. The detail is pretty terrific and I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the scene. Keep up the good work.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

yes I really like this as well tahnoak.
Is this going to be a full-scale, life size train setup?
Or is it going to be like a model train set?
I like train sets. :D
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Thanks for all the comments, it helps as I try new things.

No stopping on the wrong side for me!! :)

I must admit that I was going for full scale but now that you mention it froo I am VERY INTRIGUED at the possibility of making this like a model train set scene. I don't have any but I am an admirer of those very elaborate train sets that people spend their lifetimes building in their basement :D

I need to ensure I don't try to go too fast and settle for "good enough". That is my biggest problem, lack of patience to learn something the right way when it comes to modeling.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

totally understandable.
The detail put into that model just 'looks' like a miniature to me; very well done!