The Alley

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: The Alley

Post by Finis »

Don't underestimate yourself. Your methods are not problems, they are strengths. The way you work is part of the reason your art expresses moods and feelings so well. You know a thing is right not by measurement and method but that it creates the feel of the picture you have in your mind. This is the "artist's eye".

I think the current bar sign looks like an old one with cut out letters, a color gel, and a light inside. But if neon is what you need wasn't there a post in the Caligari forum about techniques for that?
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by tahnoak »

Finis wrote:Don't underestimate yourself. Your methods are not problems, they are strengths. The way you work is part of the reason your art expresses moods and feelings so well. You know a thing is right not by measurement and method but that it creates the feel of the picture you have in your mind. This is the "artist's eye".

I think the current bar sign looks like an old one with cut out letters, a color gel, and a light inside. But if neon is what you need wasn't there a post in the Caligari forum about techniques for that?

It may be a bit of underestimating myself but I don't look at my processes as a negative thing. However, I do look at my lack of desire to spend time doing a lot of the tutorials that are available as a negative thing :D

For example, I see people talking about using a loop for this and that and everyone piles on with agreement or not. But in my mind I am thinking WTF is a loop? :?

I will check the Caligari forum for that post. Thanks for the tip. I keep forgetting that the site is still available.
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Tahnoak, I don't see tutorials to learn. When I need to know about HDRI I go and see the tutorial but never when I don't need it. Until now I just see 3 tutorials, and about the loops, they are in the Workspace. See the Organic Modeling tutorial, very good!

Cya
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

leonregis wrote:Tahnoak, I don't see tutorials to learn. When I need to know about HDRI I go and see the tutorial but never when I don't need it. Until now I just see 3 tutorials, and about the loops, they are in the Workspace. See the Organic Modeling tutorial, very good!

Cya
leonregis... I understand. I often wonder if I would be better off doing tutorials to see what I can do BEFORE i try and do something. Because once I get into the flow of a scene, that is not really the time to break that rhythm and try to find out IF I can do what I want to do. But, knowing me, just because it would be smarter doesn't mean I am going to do it :lol:

Here is an updated screenie. I worked on a puddle texture based on Weevil's info and added a drain pipe along the window. I'm not sure about either right now. I think maybe if I add some water stains or even some rust stains to the wall along the drain I will like it more.
Attachments
Alley6.jpg
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

Is it me or is this scene too dark? I noticed that at home and now at work.
What little I could see... the wrought iron work on the top of the lantern needed
to be beefed up more. Also taper the sides of the lantern so that it is not a box shape.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

It is dark Steinie. Probably a bit too dark. Let me mess with the lights a little more. I don't want to hide all the detail that is in the scene but it is supposed to be night time (moonless night).

Good ideas on the lanterns. I had not thought of that.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I think it is hard to do a dark scene because it looks different on different screens and under different room lighting conditions.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Finis....great point. I am always adjusting my monitor and things that were in dark shadows at one viewing angle are now standing out and look horrible from another.
nigec

Post by nigec »

I did a game once that only 25% of people could see, another problem is the image darkens on the net as well.
Have a look at W!zard's gallery he's very good at night time scenes
http://wizitch.com/zenphoto/index.php?album=3d+Art" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think the trick is not neccesarily to decrease the brightness, but to either increase or decrease the contrast depending on where you are, if you stare at the sun, change the colours to a bit more atmospheric blue and decrease the contrast. If you're in an alley like that, then the unlit parts from the lamps will be in shadow, so totally black, any light from the lamp will be really bright, so the contrast would increase