The Alley

tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: The Alley

Post by tahnoak »

Finis wrote:Workspace or Model Side?
Model side, I do all my work on the model side. I haven't figured out the workspace side yet :D
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Turn the bridge off. That helps with lots of stuff. Maybe it will help with the slow load time.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

I am still trying to recover from the system issues (for a lack of a better term) which completely messed up my textures and the overall feel of the scene. While in my stupor I decided that I did not like the light fixtures in the scene so I made new ones. Here it is. I am not totally satisfied with the glass in it but since I only have TS and none of the other programs that do caustics particularly well I will settle for this.
Attachments
Luminary3.jpg
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Finis wrote:Turn the bridge off. That helps with lots of stuff. Maybe it will help with the slow load time.

Thanks Finis.... I did that and it seemed to have helped somewhat but it is hard to tell because I also cleaned up the multi-layered textures.

I'm now trying to update the lighting (per my previous post) and then trying to decide how to "dirty it up". Then maybe add some drain pipes and either phone lines or power lines draped along the alley.

Suggestions always welcome..
Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

I love the design of the lamp, great detailing. Your definately going to have to add some grime to the glass to make it more apparent though. In addition, it looks as if your light source is illuminating the top of your lamp's geometry. If you look carefully at your image, the top of the lamp should really be in shadow, yet it is brightly lit. HTH.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Breech Block wrote:I love the design of the lamp, great detailing. Your definately going to have to add some grime to the glass to make it more apparent though. In addition, it looks as if your light source is illuminating the top of your lamp's geometry. If you look carefully at your image, the top of the lamp should really be in shadow, yet it is brightly lit. HTH.

Thanks, as always, for the great feedback Breech, I had to study the pic a few mins to get what you meant. Ultimately the top of the lamp should be a darker tone than the lower part of the lamp because the light is beneath it. Got it.

Yeah, griming up the glass is going to be tricky but I'll figure something out.

Trent
Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

tahnoak wrote:...I had to study the pic a few mins to get what you meant. Ultimately the top of the lamp should be a darker tone than the lower part of the lamp because the light is beneath it. Got it.
lol, yeah, it took me a few minutes to work out what it was myself. Knew there was something wrong, but couldn't figure out what it was at first.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Updated screenie with the new lanterns. I know there are no lightbulbs in them but baby steps :D I also need to fix the issue with the tops of the lanterns (thanks again Breech)

Also, the new lamps throw some freaky shadows in the alley but I like them.

Added the BAR sign too. I am hoping to get more of a neon look to the bar sign but did not give it a lot of time yet.
Attachments
Alley5.jpg
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

You could try mapped shadows for the lights in the lamps. That might soften the shadows they project.

Did you choose the Golden Ratio (close enough) for the proportions of the picture or shape it intuitively?

I thought this was old. Before electricity or maybe with gas lights. I will be interesting combining that look with more modern things.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Finis... Your observations are big parts of my problems when I do scenes. I don't think them through. Meaning, I don't sketch them out or anything I just start with a thought and then kind of model and texture as I am progressing. In my mind I am envisioning a darkened alley in a very old city (not menacing by any means but just darkly lit) in Europe (maybe Italy or France) which leads to a small "hole in the wall" local bar. I may even try to give the lights at the end of the alley a warmer and more inviting look so that it gives the "this family lives at the end of this dark alley but their home is still a home" kind of feeling.

I am not meticulous enough with my hobby to use measurements and proper scale so I just kind of eyeball it.

I'll check out the lights to see if I am using shadowmap. I thought I was but maybe not.

As always, thanks for the feedback and suggestions.