Mars Mission - Animation Contest 2#

LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Re: Mars Mission - Animation Contest 2#

Post by LeonRegis »

I just wake up today wanting a good render. Well that's not perfect but here is:
Attachments
aresIV_p05.jpg
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Looks good but a lot of the detail you did is not in the picture.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Good work Leon :bananacheers:
But theperspective of the sky don't match with the horizon of the 3d. With this 3d, we would see the end of the sky and the begin of the ground.
Another thing: if you want to do an animation, you can use later a sky dome.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Thanks Finis, yeah I know I was just trying to mimic a picture from NASA...

Thanks Marcel, certainly this is totally wrong, the lightning and the perspective... I was just wanting to do a fast render (Took 10 min to organize and render). Also a Sky dome is what I'm going to do, I was going to post in Tech Forum to get more information like what kind of images we should use in a sky dome and how do it correctly, you can answer it directly here but if I get no answers I'll put on the Tech Forum (I don't know if everybody follow this WIP).

Here is the tube system finished (where the tubes stop is because there is a building or it enters into ground.

Now I'll do the buildings, and finish things... I'm working slower than I want but ok, I finally realize this is not a work but a contest where I'll win just fun.

The image is with 2x and the overall quality seems good, I think I'll render the animation with it.
Attachments
pipelines_p02.jpg
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

How to do a skydome:
the quality of a skydrome depends on its texture. to create the map, just take a picture of a cloud, preferably for from below.
-cut the Photo to do a square (1).
-use a mosaic filter to avoid problems with joints (2).
-use a polar filter (3).
These filters are common on many photo editor. Create a hemisphere. change the UV spherical projection to planar UV projection. This projection is what you need to use the image (3) to 360 degrees. The sky dome don't cast shadow and don't receive shadow. Best material is constant shader if the textur is exactly what you need. And it is good to speed up the render for animation.
You can also use an other skydome smaller and inside, with alpha map for the cloud to create movment and more deep. If you want a horizon lighter or darker, use a mask radial to the image (3) and change the colors with your photo editor.
Attachments
clouds.jpg
skydome.jpg
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

I'm able to put the sky texture inside the dome of course? With the the texture outside there is no use to that...

Thanks!
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

You need to flip the normal when the cam is inside.
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Obviously there are other subtleties that can change the color of the sky when the camera turns toward the sun. Here is an example recovered from an old movie I made:
Attachments
Sky.zip
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 354 times
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

That's a great method for making your own skies Marcel. Thanks!

Leon, there are skydome panorama textures one the web. Many of them are free (usually low-def or small) and are like a Mercator projection map -- they wrap around a hemisphere with spherical projection. Here is one http://www.marlinstudios.com/samples/samppano.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Some sites have several free ones.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Finis wrote:That's a great method for making your own skies Marcel. Thanks!
As you said, it is to use with the photo you want. ;)
The interest of a "polar image" is that you can use the same for the sky and the environnement hdri (probe). The light created match with the decor (better than use the environnement image of the hdri as backdround). Each method have his adventage. Hemispherical image have a better resolution at the horizon, panoramic image is better to use with a cylinder: there is less deformation if you use it only for a movement parallele to the ground, etc...
It is the choose of the movement of the cam who determine the method to use. For a still image i prefer to use just a plane to control the background.