Art Gallery

joe_7
Petty Officer Third Class
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Art Gallery

Post by joe_7 »

I managed to get both 3.2 and 7.61 beta running under Wine 5.0, but not without problems. I could start a topic with installation details if anyone is interested, but it's probably not worth the bother. Here's what I found:

Both ran best in a virtual desktop with mouse capture and no window management, using Windows Vista emulation. In either case minimizing the window results in the unfortunate situation of having to go into a terminal and kill the process. Other quirks:

3.2: The program should be maximized then exited after the first start. No D3D or OpenGL. Main menu disappears but will reappear again with Alt-F.

7.61: Workspace almost works except some of the toolbars end up underneath the main window. Model side works, D3D is garbled but OpenGL is hardware accelerated with an occasional redraw glitch. Rendering options can't be changed (like in VirtualBox), and rendering is very slow in OpenGL but faster in wireframe, though it hitches up quite a bit. Menus are laggy.

So maybe not completely useless, but close. It is a little more convenient and the mouse capturing is much less annoying than VirtualBox's, but that's about it. Just amazed they work at all.
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

What is your conclusion from those tests? Will TS work for you on your system?

Wine and VirtualBox let you run windows programs on linux? Maybe others here have TS going on linux and can advise you. Ask or search the forum.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
joe_7
Petty Officer Third Class
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by joe_7 »

I was already running it in a VM, but after using it more I think I have the quirks figured out well enough to make it usable in Wine. I made a shared folder for projects so I can go either way, here it is in Wine with the hardware accel:

ts7_wine.jpg
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Keep going.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

joe_7 wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 01:43 I managed to get both 3.2 and 7.61 beta running under Wine 5.0, but not without problems. I could start a topic with installation details if anyone is interested, ...
I'd like to see it.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

me too... i sometimes play with linux, but tS7.6 never worked in it. I can install it, but i cannot run it.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)