3dbuzz Mech project in trueSpace

clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

3dbuzz Mech project in trueSpace

Post by clintonman »

mechsAttack01.jpg
mechsAttack02.jpg
I started the 3rd and final Maya Fundamentals course in trueSpace. I've been using these projects to develop new tools and test pre-existing tools and scripts.
First up is modeling the mech model.
While working on this I found a bug with the Quad Toolbar scripts from my website.
Also found out that the model object coordinate widget script effects the tangent space widget as well as the object coordinate widgets. Ideally, it should only effect the object space widget. I found that problem when the dynamic sweep tool started misbehaving when using tangent space.
A bug was discovered and fixed in the align scripts for the case of aligning objects with the first or last selected item.

Next up is materials and one more model.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
clintonman
Captain

Re: 3dbuzz Mech project in trueSpace

Post by clintonman »

mechsAttack03.jpg
The antenna array.
mechsAttack04.jpg
mechsAttack05.jpg
Materials assigned to the mech.

Found/Realized that the mirror tool is a modeling tool and doesn't change the location, rotation or scale. Made a yet to be published mirror tool that mostly acts on the matrix of the object so it works with lights and cameras as well. It also works with the pivot and will adjust the vertices of the mesh like the modeling mirror tool. The mech has some messed up stuff that will need to be re-mirrored with the new tool.

There was a bump map assigned to the feet/toe models but I kept getting hard crashes. Will need to check the bump2normal compositing code to see if there's a problem there.

The next lessons add materials to the antenna and break it apart in preparation for blowing it up.
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

mechsAttack06.jpg
Materials applied to the antenna array
mechsAttack07.jpg
Pre-destruction modeling using the boolean slice tool to cut it up and dynamic sweep shell to add thickness to the pieces.
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

MechSkeleton.jpg

Mech rigging is done.

The meshes are attached directly to the bones, no skinning is used.
The bottom half is controlled by a skeleton with IK motion for the legs and FK controls setup for the toes.
The top is parented to the bottom and controlled by a script/ui combination to simulate Mayas set driven key controls.

Found and fixed a bug in the new MirrorMatrix script. Lesson is must remember to run the flatten axes tool when using pivots. Used the FK scripts to setup the toe controls. Object vertex snap was used to precisely position the joints of the skeleton inside the meshes.
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

Great job on the Mech!
What is the scale?
Is that a cockpit for occupants?
bottom controlled by a script/ui combination to simulate Mayas set driven key controls
Curious... Are tS Morphs similar to Maya's set driven key controls?
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 18:42 Great job on the Mech!
What is the scale?
Is that a cockpit for occupants?
bottom controlled by a script/ui combination to simulate Mayas set driven key controls
Curious... Are tS Morphs similar to Maya's set driven key controls?
MechCockpit.jpg
No scale, it will be sized to fit the scene.
Yep, no driver though. The script/ui controls are for the top, it's difficult to add any external control to the trueSpace skeleton system.

No, tS morphs are like Maya blend shapes. Set driven keys are kind of like a combination of constraints and animation. Instead of time as the driver for animation it is driven by the value of another object. The process is similar.
Animation: 1. set time 2. set object value for that time 3. set key,
Set driven key: 1. set value of controller 2. set corresponding object value for that controller value 3. set key.
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

mechUI.jpg
Finished the UI lesson.
The "Toes Left" and "Toes Right" are FK controls to rotate the toes. The "K" buttons in the Cannon Controls section are for setting keyframes for those values.

Next is setting up the scene and starting the animation
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

mechAnimation01.jpg
Started the animation. At this point the feet slide along the ground as he moves forward and an animatic has been setup for the rough timing and layout.

The first problem I found was trying to use the null object scripts. The null is a marker object that does not render and behind the scenes is a modified camera. The unofficial updates has a camera background widget for opening a panel and exiting a camera view. This prevents selecting a camera and then ctrl selecting anything else in the 3d view. The second problem was from the way trueSpace works. If you have 2 cameras selected (or a camera and a null) the fov for both will be set to the same value. So when I had a camera and null selected the camera's fov got messed up by the null fov. I ended up converting the nulls to ordinary meshes and will manually make them invisible before the render is run. I deactivated the Exit Camera View portion of the camera widget.

The reason for the nulls in the first place is to use constraints to make the camera switch locations via the null locations. This process uses a new version of the constraints script that allows the unconstrained values to be animated. The new script is highlighted in yellow in the image. The camera position is constrained to each of the "null" positions in turn with the rotations available for animation.

One more problem when I started the animation. The meshes got keyframed and that made the whole thing kindof blow up after a couple of keys were set. The solution was to expand the Matrix connection for each of the meshes attached to skeleton bones.

On a side note I needed to use the ctrl script for link editor selections in a floating le window, but the button only exists on the main le window, so I plan to install the ctrl script to get the button and use the opportunity to check for a potential problem with the persistent installers found by trueBlue.
Clinton Reese

trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

I assigned a trueSpace shortcut to my keyboard's APPS key (the key in-between the right Alt and Ctrl keys) to the Link Editor's Ctrl button. That seems to work with a floating Link Editor window.
I tired the Make Copy of Window but the Link Editor Navigator aspect toolbar's buttons do not copy over. :(
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

trueBlue wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 17:39 I assigned a trueSpace shortcut to my keyboard's APPS key (the key in-between the right Alt and Ctrl keys) to the Link Editor's Ctrl button. That seems to work with a floating Link Editor window.
toomanyshortcuts.jpg
I don't use shortcut keys unless necessary. That's to say if it's something I do all the time all day long. The widgets have way more shortcuts than I can remember so I made a panel for most of them. I plan to add the text of the shortcuts to the buttons so if I do use something constantly I'll be able to learn it quicker.
Clinton Reese