Christmas Card 2022

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Christmas Card 2020 or 2022

Post by Finis »

Getting better. Other Blender folks made a new node set up for the denoiser that preserves much detail.

https://vimeo.com/386381520/e6c946105e
Last edited by Finis on 16 Nov 2022, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
RAYMAN
Captain

Re: Christmas Card 2020.2

Post by RAYMAN »

Hi Finis!
Been away for health issues for some time here but had
lots of time to think about 3d and our enviroment..and one big thing was....that we are killing our enviroment by using to much energy.....fossil resources etc...the fires in
Australia are just a few more indicators!
So I am pretty much more aware now how to save energy...especialy also in 3D!
I looked into your scene and a few suggestions...!
What realy makes noise in cycles are lights that you have
in your scene that are close to walls! Those dont clear up well! When you render scenes keep the back walls open
and rather light with hdr then with real lights in your scenes...and real physically correct radiosity from the walls...
When you build your library keep the walls detachable!
You often dont need very high settings.....
You have textures on the building where you dont see them in the frame...leave them away...they cost resources! Fill up your ram for no reason...
Rule of thumb..keep only textures you realy see in your framerender...or in a reflection in your scene!
You can shave off lots of time if you bake your lighting...
If you use hdr use a very small size! If you dont see portions of the hdr in your frame....and just need the light from it 1500 px is more then enough wide! Just needs the coloring and needs to mimic the lighting in the interior!
etc ..etc ..etc...
Every item to much not only sums up but it multiplies!!!
Look also into e cycles! Its an optimised version and optimised settings of cycles!
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Your ideas? Consider the floor and wall space to the left and right of the door. What furniture or objects would be appropriate there?

Thanks Rayman. I'll look into some of that.
Attachments
ROOM.jpg
DOOR.jpg
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

Camera @ front door
X-mas tree @ front window
Dining table in side room
Chair, table and lamp @ bookcase
Sofa(s) and Recliner around fireplace
Rug(s)
Piano?
Framed pictures on walls
X-mas décor
Leg lamp from Fragile :mrgreen:
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks trueBlue! Those suggestions caused me to see what the problem really is. The main room is too large. I made it that way to support distant camera placement (hindsight: not needed), up to two minutes of travel time for the train, several localities for adventures, proportionality to the height of the ceiling (due to size of the bay windows and entry which I'm not changing).

Now I see that a smaller main room with more side rooms is better. It eliminates the need to have so much stuff in one room, eliminates unnecessary wall and floor space, and contains the action in more focused settings. Side rooms can hide recipients' customized items from being seen from elsewhere (fewer scenes to re-render) and give a more architecturally believable layout.

I'll redesign the building. Also will use the suggestions in arranging furniture and placing items.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Not the size..but you have a wide angle which isnt 35 mm
but looks more like 18mm and has lots of distortion....making the items you have in your room look miniscule.....very vrry small..and you have a big unused space in the front!
I would just make one corner..fill that up and see how that looks and blends with your modeltrain and animation.... have it grow away from that corner!
I know of many of these problems being a photographer and constantly running into problems with filling the space....! You can even run into problems if your client is on set standing next to you! When the final images dont sell..!
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Here is a scene that comes with Vue of a toy train!
When you make an animation of your setup just show the
parts that make up the parts involved..not the whole room!
Divide your animations up into takes....use normal to tele
camera settings....use DOF to show that its a modeltrain not a big one! If you just load into the scene the portions visible in the take..leave the ceiling away etc your rendertimes and setup times will drop dramatically!
Your also faster with the animations itself! Make a storyboard.... draw the scenes with pencil..and write down what logically must be visible in the frame from that angle...! But dont make a house....load the toy and start moving around in that house virtualy! Your rendertimes wont make it! Plus it wont have the drama if you dont use different tight perspectives for the takes...!
Attachments
Toy train1.jpg
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I tested how many detailed characters with hair I could put in this scene. The answer is 2. Characters for the animation will be simpler so my computer can do this. Render time though, hmm.

https://blenderartists.org/t/paige-two- ... 1242981/23

ChristmasFiguresTest.jpg
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

dude can be bald ;)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)