Face.png
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

Post by bitkar »

:D thats a good dude
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

That WAS a good dude! :roll: :mrgreen: :P
To much dry Martini! :mrgreen:
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

:lol:

My own custom caricature by the great one? Ahhhh! (fan club)
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Your advice? I'm not getting to hike much when it is warm due to work. I could try more winter exploration and I'm considering camping. Y'all who hike, camp, live in cold places give me advice and info. about cold weather hiking and camping.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

i dont camp during winter, its not too fun and relax. You usually cant even set up camp fire in CZ in most places. But in general you need ofc warm clothes, but easy way to zip it open to ventilate, because even in cold sometimes you feel hot when you go uphill and you need to ventilate well and not sweat up much. Body temperature changes alot during winter hike.

My guesses for camping - folding military shovel to prepare ground/snow. Good tarp to izolate from wet muddy ground or snow. aluminium mat for isolation from the cold. Ofc, some cooker to make coffee. Some even carry heating "pillows" which you can take with you to pockets or activate them in a sleeping back in case of cold (those you can heat up in a microwave and they become fluid... there is a small piece of metal you "snap" and it all starts some chemical reaction and heats up). Warm socks to sleeping bag.
Michal aka bitkar
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

As youve seen from my pix..the cold weather and rain...just happens to me! :roll: :mrgreen:
My advice..find a bus stop ! :mrgreen:
Ah yes..and take an umbrella ! Whenever I take one it doesnt rain when I do it doesnt! :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

@Rayman Good method with a bus stop and umbrella. Or more: cold weather camping could be best at a nice well heated ski resort!

@Bitkar You covered things I hadn't thought of. Thanks. I might go up in the mountains where there is snow. I've seen snow cat vehicles along roads up there. I'd like to try a winter ascent of Sierra Blanca (12,000ft, 3,657m) from the base at Three Rivers. The peak is on the Apache reservation and it is sacred in their old ways (the spirit White Painted Lady lives there). They don't answer my emails asking for permission and people often go there from the nearby ski resort. Other less visited peaks could be good. Being inexperienced in cold activities less adventurous places would be better.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

sounds good... 3600 m is pretty high. Mountains are rought, weather can change very fast to very dangerous (fog, snowing, cold, bad visibility, dezorientation). Having good gear is essential. Its better to overestimate than underestimate.
When you plan make sure you will let know your close ones WHERE EXACTLY and WHEN you are gonna be. So in case you dont come back or something goes wrong, they can come for a rescue. Also its a good idea to let the mountain rescue know that you are there (where and how long for). Maybe they will tell you something about dangers of avalanches and such. Good advice from locals is prescious.

Also get some info on the topic. Like its a good idea to camp in the snow - its warmer than the air around and can cover you against wind (shovel will come in handy in that). Maybe dont go all the way for a first try, 2000-2500 m should be plenty.
And one more - test your equipment at home as much as possible, to check if everything works as supposed. You dont want to find out in 2500 m that something is broken... like my new tarp :D (but i was pretty close to my car at least, but i could bring my old tarp too if i knew).
If you use some electronic devices (like GPS) make sure to carry them at your body, batteries dont like low temps and can be drained pretty fast. Powerbanks too.
Michal aka bitkar
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

@Bitkar Being a novice to cold weather adventures I think I'll start with something less adventurous. I'll plan on camping at Bluff Springs this winter. (here) There is a campground there so probably other people if an emergency and the dirt road is nearby. Could try some night sky photography. Good place to view the Milky Way. Hmm, easy drive in good dry weather but slippery wet, mud, snow Winter road? Not the tires or 4wd for that. Some money to invest since I don't have cold weather gear for this kind of activity.

Read about Sierra Blanca peak. It looks like too many people go there to be as good as I would want. I'd prefer a seldom visited place for adventure. Also, the ski resort's highest lift has a building there near Lookout Peak which has a plaque and seats etc. That is visible from Sierra Blanca peak about 0.5 miles (1Km) away. So I'll pick some seldom visited peak when I'm ready for such a Winter adventure. I'd like to camp and explore in the Gila Wilderness but alone away from campgrounds/roads/trails that is expert stuff. They aren't joking about 'wilderness' there.