Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

Post by bitkar »

cool, seems like a nice place to start :)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

viewtopic.php?p=61284#p61284

Hang glider Fly In is not canceled but didn't happen. One pilot flew twice yesterday. Another left without flying. One showed up today, tried to drive up there, turned back. He didn't want to try again. Unlikely anyone else will be around this weekend. Two trucks plus several ATV's went up yesterday. The road is very difficult but it can be done with planning, filling holes with rocks, and sometimes a spotter. Here is Sierra Blanca viewed from the launch area. About 35mi (56km) away straight line.
LaunchView.jpg
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is the 400th anniversary of Thanksgiving.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

happy "turkey days" americans :) just kidding... enjoy the day :)

btw i guess it would be fun for some offroader to have the challenging trail up there. Is it used by serious offroaders with tuned up pickup trucks?
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks trueBlue and Bitkar.
bitkar wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 20:05Is it used by serious offroaders with tuned up pickup trucks?
It is now. That's what it takes to drive it. Normally 4WD is needed but not difficult. The rare times it is bulldozed then a few 2WD's could do it too. ATV's and motorcycles have little trouble. Many glider pilots have good 4WD vehicles but they've heard about the current condition so they aren't coming.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

MerryChristmas2021.jpg
Merry Christmas!
Last edited by Finis on 20 Dec 2021, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

Very nice render! :bananaclaus:
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks trueBlue.

I'm using the setting for this project, link, to a make Christmas video. Like the main project it will have customizations for each recipient. Mostly this is a project for learning Blender. I've learned a lot.

Y'all's observations and advice would be appreciated.

This is an animatic with quick renders plus a fully rendered shot at the end. Its purpose is to get a feel for the flow of the whole movie, stretch and shrink the quick shots in HitFilm to get the pace right to match music, detect problems, and make story decisions. The idea is to have 'far shots' that show the setting and 'close shots' that show closer views and have the customized parts. The far shots should be generic to save render time for the customized versions.

I have two main things to solve. The ending and the stockings.

I think it would be better to switch the placement of the Christmas card part and the presents part. Have the sweep by the cards last and finish with the angel.
UPDATE: I will put the Christmas cards part last and end with the angel. Your ideas, critiques, advice welcome of course on all aspects throughout the project.

The fire place is visible in three shots but only customized in the close pass by the mantle. Gotta show off that fire simulation. So the number of stockings and picture frames at the fire place won't usually match the number in the customized close up. Solution?

https://vimeo.com/661529841/61ffc90873

The finished product will be 1440p, 60fps. It has academy flat ratio so letterbox bars. The photos, Christmas cards, and name tags on stockings and gifts will be customized.

A restaurant called Y'alls Steakhouse opened here. This started a debate about the spelling of Y'all's. Y'all is a contraction of you all so there is an apostrophe. It is possessive so the "s" gets an apostrophe. So I think it is y'all's.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

trueBlue wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 18:32 Very nice render! :bananaclaus:
Thanks! The sunset outside is a panorama photo I took at the White Mountain Wilderness.

If I ever get the Paige Turner model rigged for animation I want to make video of her moving and talking rendered as close to photo-realistic as I can get. A high quality facial close up takes about four minutes on my computer with Blender 3.1 and cycles. That's 120 hours of rendering per 1 minute of animation. I used the estimator at a render farm thinking it might be affordable. $600. Render farms aren't for hobbyists. Patience, lower quality, or use eevee semi-realistic renderer. Still can't get the shoulders rigged right and no time to work on it.