Re: BP Machine MMC Nov-Dec 2011

Post by Draise »

Ooooooo looks really good now! :bananacheers:
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

thats a little better, altought i would sugest to use area light with ray shadows maybe. And maybe some low intezity IBL or skylight with mapped shadows for the ambient oclussion like effect.
I really like the model. Its really "incredible mechanics" :) This fills the MMC name fully.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Jill
Petty Officer Second Class
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by Jill »

Finis wrote:Steinie, ha ha! Given measurements I'll bet Jill really could do that.
Actually, if I also had the specific equations used [as I think some of your gears are from the wood gear site that admittedly has flawed equations], then yes I could... But that is not really the point of this, is it? I would have to say this looks beautifully complex,.. and I think that is the point. Great work! ;)
-Jill-

Helped w/a riddle: "If one is specifically clever, and the only witness of it was an idiot, was the cleverness a wasted effort?"
The 1st clue is in the use of the word 'witness',..
The 2nd is in the fact that you conveyed it to ME. :lol:
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks Draise.

Bitkar: Yeah. I had a good set up with the global environment light (model side hdri light) but it made sparkles or bright spots on things. I've found that I have to use the ge/hdri light throughout texturing to get it to look right and I didn't have time to tune all the textures to the light.

Jill: I always appreciate someone who understands the difference between art/style and practical/functional -- that an art piece is "look and feel" not engineering.

I considered making sequences of meshed gears with no connection to other sequences. Example: the mega-machine earlier in the thread = copy & paste. A touch of functionality adds to the "look and feel" that it could really work. So I made it so that, if the parts could do what I imagine, the force could "flow" from the input button to the drumstick for some unknown movement.

My style goal was steampunk but I don't think I achieved that. I liked the semi-cartoony look of some earlier renders more that the attempts at realism.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

nice gears:
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

that looks awesome!
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Tommy
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Tommy »

Finis you have done a real good job here!
"Carpe diem"
Tommy
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Tommy »

Welcome back Marcel! I thought you had dissapeared for ever.
"Carpe diem"
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks everyone. Marcel, that is a cool animation.

Playing around with volumetrics in TS 7.6 modelside lightworks render. Five copies of the machine make hall of gears. Advanced volumetrics with turbulence produced the light rays and gold background. About 20 minutes render time on 2.6GHz dual core.

I wasn't thinking about art or anything but seeing the result I got ideas. I should make one with rusty textures and neglected broken parts in the foreground transitioning to shiny new ones in the back. Title "Forgotten Promise". Another possibility: after I make a full circle machine use it like this with no ground. Title "Mechanical Sun".
Attachments
BPM_MachineVolumetric.jpg
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

That is the coolest render and concept.. almost like inverted cog clouds. You have a cool test render. =) I wish this forum had a Gallery. =)