MMC Laboratory - Small Minds

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: MMC Laboratory - Small Minds

Post by Finis » 01 Sep 2011, 17:38

Note: MMC entry ends above.

Here are markings for the flasks. I discovered how to get a second texture layer to have correct transparency. More on that when I have time.

I found that raycast rendering is better for the glass. It can make complex textures blurry but it works for this scene.

A trick here is to put the markings in the middle of a large texture so you can use the scale and offset on the color and reflectance shaders to position and size it.
Attachments
FlaskWithMarkings.jpg
ErlenmeyerFlaskMarkingsMaskWB_lg.jpg

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: MMC Laboratory - Small Minds

Post by Finis » 08 Sep 2011, 03:16

I had trouble using texture layers to apply the markings to the flasks, the bacteria colonies to the agar, and the text the petri dish lids. I used planes over the dish lids and agar to that for the MMC image.

See the bacteria colonies in the earlier images in this thread for an example of the trouble. Compare that agar/bacteria (with one transparency map) to the one here.

I discovered how to get the transparency to work with texture layers. How to do the flask markings:
- Make the base layer glass.
- Make a big marking texture as noted in an earlier post. Make it white for transparent areas and black for opaque.
- Make a second layer for the markings.
-- Make the color appropriate for the markings.
-- Apply the markings texture as a transparency map on BOTH the color shader and reflectance shader.
-- Move and scale the markings to fit the flask using uv offset and reps. Use the same numbers on the color and reflectance shaders.

You must use the transparency mask on the color and the reflectance shaders. If you just use it on one it won't look right.

Here is a new render with raycast and the flask markings. I think raycast is better for the glass but it still has jaggies and raycast makes some things like detailed textures and text blurry.
Attachments
GlassOverlay_BaseLayer.jpg
base layer - glass
GlassOverlay_2ndLayer.jpg
second layer - markings
SmallMinds_F.jpg