MMC May 2011 - Teleportal

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

MMC May 2011 - Teleportal

Post by Finis » 16 May 2011, 03:16

Space-Time Entanglement Portal - STEP

This will be a gateway device like the gates on Stargate or the inter-dimensional portals from Earth Final Conflict or many other sci fi stories.

In this future STEPs are common and are like vending machines for travel. A customer can select a destination and pay at the portal and walk through to the other place. When active the destination is visible through the portal and that is how it will be shown in this scene.

I'll design it to fit the MMC theme of consumer transportation. The STEP will have "STEP" as a trademarked brand name, an arch or opening to walk through, a screen to select the destination, a payment device, promotional/price displays ("To Dallas, 1/2 price all day!", "Senior discounts! (130+ yrs)"), stylish design, and maybe other attributes of consumer service/vending machines.

I'll probably model the portal, use a photo in it for the destination, and fit it into another photo for the current location. This means only modeling the device but I will get to explore techniques of fitting 3D things into photos. That is something I have not done before. Post processing will likely play a role too.

For art, I'd like to use current and destination locations that are different. I've found some photos of gardens in daytime and nighttime cityscapes with tall buildings. Which is the destination depends on which photos I choose. For total art, I'd have the portal in a colorful garden and the destination be a black and white photo like this http://www.nyclondon.com/photography/Ni ... 0Building/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I thought of "spatially entangled" is a sci fi twist on the idea of quantum entanglement and named this Spatially Entangled TelePortal. Oops, that spells SETP not STEP. Changed the name. I like "teleportal" and might change the name again.

Hopefully I can finish in time for the May-June 2011 MMC, Future Consumer Tranportation.

http://www.morguefile.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good source of free legal photos but read their license about not using them without alteration.
Last edited by Finis on 25 May 2011, 01:33, edited 3 times in total.
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. -- Milton Friedman

Finis
Captain

Re: MMC May 2011 - STEP

Post by Finis » 17 May 2011, 18:16

Starting box modeling to produce a control mesh for SDS. There will be angled parts and rounded edges. The green part will be the portal opening, the purple part will have the controls and promotions, and the trademark goes on the red. Advertisements will go in an area at the junction of purple and green. The colors are, of course, markers for use now.

Starting with the thin green box I used point editing to select faces and apply sweeps to them. The idea is to create faces and edges to support more sweeps in a process of refinement until the shape is ready. Then SDS will smooth and round it.

The billboard people texture is from the free samples at http://www.viz-people.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Attachments
step_boxmodel_1.gif
Last edited by Finis on 18 May 2011, 02:21, edited 2 times in total.

jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc » 18 May 2011, 01:27

Will there be a large watery looking whooshing plume like the Stargate?

:bananacool2:
Walk by faith, not by sight.

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis » 18 May 2011, 02:17

I'd like to do that or some FX James. However, this is going to be intentionally mundane looking. That will show that STEPs are as ordinary as pay phones or ATMs to future people.

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis » 20 May 2011, 03:33

The box modeling and sweeps technique is making SDS hard to control so I'll make separate parts. That will give some flexibility for design modification too.

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie » 20 May 2011, 11:42

Great idea Finis so I'll be watching your progress. BTW is that you in the
last panel?

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis » 24 May 2011, 15:12

Thanks Steinie. No not me. Mr. Casual is from free samples from viz-people.com.

Technique now is to make separate parts then modify with point editing and quad divide and then apply SDS. The quad divide makes the SDS boxier. I'll show the progression from boxes to to control mesh later.

Here is the current wire frame, a curvy version from this wire, and a boxy version from this wire with one more quad divide before SDS. I think the boxy version looks more like a real world design might look. There would be different ones of course. I think one based on this one will be in the garden, more stylish, and parts of an armored graffiti covered one, the portal at the destination, will be in the city visible through the portal.

Controls will be in the yellow area which I will make larger and maybe reshape. Advertisements will appear in or near the control area. I might add a clear wind/rain shield.

I like the word "teleportal" and want to change the name to use it. The first, or some, letters in the name should preferably spell a word associated with travel/movement.

Any suggestions for a new name or about the design(s) or other ideas?
Attachments
TeleportalWire_.gif
TeleportalWire_.gif (10.26 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
TeleportalCurve.jpg
TeleportalSquared.jpg

Dragneye
Lieutenant

Post by Dragneye » 24 May 2011, 19:04

Very nice Finis.
Keep it comin'.

Finis
Captain

Re: MMC May 2011 - Teleportal

Post by Finis » 28 May 2011, 16:40

I need advice about the style. Especially of the screen and control area.

I think that needs some shape other than a rectangle. Or does the similarity of portal opening and the rectangle control ares work? The whole object needs some accents or details like just a few well placed seams or lines. There will be a floor or platform too.

I was thinking mass produced but since this one is in garden what if it has wood, or wood and metal like a bench, etc. Something made to fit into a garden?

This isn't the color or texture for the final one of course.

This one will be in some portion of this garden so it gets a little more style than the city one on the other side.
Attachments
PDomainPics_GardenLG.jpg

Finis
Captain

Re: MMC May 2011 - Teleportal

Post by Finis » 30 May 2011, 02:21

Considering making this one into the city one and making a wood, stone, and wrought iron one for the garden. I like this garden photo but it'll have to be another one since no area of this one supports the angle I want.

Still need design advice for this one but now as the city one. Names with "Teleportal" needed too.

Spatial TElePortal - STEP? How about just Teleportal but use a company name from a sci fi. Cyberdyne Teleportal. Ah! Splododyne Teleportal!