Elegant Bridge

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Elegant Bridge

Post by Finis »

Spacekdet:
Yeah, water is too blue. This is Lightworks rendered. Is Fresnel a VRay thing? No railings or nav. beacons. I might do a night version which might have lights. The world of the bridge is like the bridge. It is to be beautiful, spacious, uncrowded, clean, (it is like here before there were 2 million people in the state). There is no need for railings or nav. beacons in bridgeworld. With 800 foot spans between towers it must be made of scrith (see Ringworld).

Wigand:
Good point. For this image that trust is assumed. It is bridgeworld where everything is wonderful. I hope to do an animation of driving along the road someday. That will have the road on land before going onto the bridge.

Marcel, Tommy:
I changed the water to have smaller waves. It is a two layer texture but now each layer is a different solid color with different water textures for bump maps. The upper layer has a graysale squiggle image for transparency to mix them and give an effect like Marcel's example photo.

I like the two lane road. Multi-lane roads make me think of densly populated cities, ugh, with lots of traffic. However, I want to understand what you mean about why there should be 4 lanes. I think that part didn't translate well. Try saying it another way.

I'll work on the shadows when I do the final lighting. I'm going to move the left part of the road so it doesn't curve so much toward the viewer.

Here is an image with the new water.
Attachments
EB_Example.jpg
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by tahnoak »

Finis.. great piece. Hopefully you will have some close ups. Seems a shame to not show off all the hard work you put into this.

A night scene would be fantastic. As would a dark rainy scene which makes a peaceful drive along a beautiful bridge more of a daunting task with an impending storm and driving rain :D

Math Path
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Math Path »

Great! The image looks pretty much enhanced now. Good work Finis :)

marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Yes the shader of the water is better now. The water look more an ocean than a river.
About the lanes i meant an enormous bridge with only 2 lanes is not secure. And is more evident since the scale of the scene look better and the car seem too big now.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks everyone.

There could be close ups and animation in the future when I get and learn non-TS software (maybe Messiah! http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... f=4&t=2489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). For now the render bugs noted previously prevent that. The road, nurb or poly, won't render correctly when the camera is near. There is little detail to see in a close up. These pictures show a close up with little detail, the (blue outline) road profile object that is still in each tower group, and how the rendered nurb road is displaced from the wire geometry. The car is from the objects that come with TS.

Night scenes etc.: I'll probably do them later with other software. I want to explore different moods and art. Night, storms, more realistic engineering/structure, and hellworld ... where everything is in ruins, limitless throngs of people live in shanty towns around and on the bridge and on rafts and float dead in the water, but the bridge's ruins show that there used to be wonderful things.

Marcel, I still don't understand about the lanes. The car and bridge and surroundings are numerically to scale (10 yards = 1 mile). After shrinking the scene I think the road might be a little wider than the 30 feet I intended. I'll check real measurements and adjust that later. If 'secure' is about structural integrity, well, it's form is for visual appeal regardless of real engineering. If 'secure' is safety for drivers then bridgeworld drivers don't even need guard rails but I might put safety items/design in another version.
Attachments
EB_Example.jpg
EB_Example_2.jpg

marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

i said about safety for drivers. but it is not important for an artistic point of view. ;)
when the cam is near the island (the last image) the texture of the ground (grass?) need to be improved. i know it is difficult to have a good texture when the cam is near and far with the same scene. it is why an animation need a lot of work.

Tommy
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Tommy »

Great job Finis!!!! Great design!! The only thing I think about is more vegetations on the land.
"Carpe diem"

marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

About the bug of the road:
For very big object and when the cam is near, try to use the wireframe display (not the wire of direct x) instead the directx. it is possible the video card don't work with precision in this case. it is why the render can be different than the display.
If it don't work:
I think you don't need to change the curve of the road now also you can try to use the refine patch tool. edit the nurbs then select the section of the road (if your model can do that, it depend on how you did it) ). add many section (about 2 or 3 between each Bridge pier).
Attachments
refine patch.jpg
refine patch.jpg (32.21 KiB) Viewed 1968 times

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Textures do need work. These are just place holders but I do like the color this grass texture gives the islands. It looks good along with the blue.

Plants in a future version if I ever get Vue or have time to use some plant making program.

Refining the road nurb might fix the close up render problem but for this image I'm just doing what TS can do which is a farther view. The render problem is not visible in this view. I was using the regular wire frame but you are right that the DX wire is worse.

The save/load problem is back. If I save the group object that is a tower and then reload it then its parts move. I simplified the tower by extracting the final SDS surface and unioning all the parts together. That single mesh object saved and loaded correctly. (Left: object as modeled, Middle: after group save/load, Right: after single mesh save/load.)

I resized everything so 1 inch equals 1 foot. The 10 yards equal 1 mile was too hard to work with.

Next: Change the road curve so it does not curve so much toward the viewer and add more curve on the right portion to keep it from being too straight. I think it will look better that way. Then work on the shore to add small cliffs and rocks.
Attachments
TowerTopReload.jpg

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Here are the water plane, sky dome, water textures, and texture settings for the ocean. Use a hemispherical sky on the dome. http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... 008#p25008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;