Early Winter on the Prairie

tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Early Winter on the Prairie

Post by tahnoak »

Just a little tinkering with tS (workspace side of course) and Vue. Trying to get back into the swing of things.. As always, comments and crits welcome. Probably throw a barn off to the side with an old wagon wheel and some mountains in the distance. I have not decided whether or not it is going to be a sunny kind of melting day or a dark and looming snow storm kind of day yet.
Attachments
Prairie2.jpg
froo
Captain

Re: Early Winter on the Prairie

Post by froo »

Very nice tahnoak. Looks like here in CO! :D
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

i think sunny will work well... So far so good.. iam looking forward the evolution of this one ;)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
theuns
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by theuns »

looking good so far, tahnoak... I assume you imported the tS object into Vue to put it on the landscape, right?

Some suggestions if you want some, might want to straighten out those ropes between the posts, doesn't look right if it bends in mid air like that and maybe make the posts more squar?
theuns - tSer since 2000
.:| http://theunsfvo.cgarena.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
.:| http://bluestarcreations.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Froo... thanks. Well then you should be able to provide a LOT of feedback then ;)

bitkar... thank you. Unfortunately I am now on travel for work and won't be touching this until at least Friday because my company strictly controls what is installed on the company laptop and I was not about to try and bring my OWN laptop AND my work laptop on this trip. I think you are right. I think it will stay sunny (or at least partly cloudy) with some melting. I can make some puddles using the trick my old friend Weevil provided. The hard part will be trying to do some icicles hanging from the wires (which I am not overly fond of at this point). I am anxiously awaiting rjeff's progress on his "Sleigh What" piece to see how he tackles that issue.

theuns... in case I have never said this in the past "I HATE DOING ROPES/WIRES/ etc... " hahahaha.. I think I need to rotate them so that the bend is downward. I was going for the old wired fence look. Now that you mention it, the posts do look more like planks than posts. :)

Some other things I think I will incorporate are:

1) tracks (vehicle tracks) to show this as a traveled path
2) vegetation because even the prairie in winter has some vegetation still.. (Vue will take care of that for me)
3) snow on the fence posts (at least on the tops of them)
4) maybe a portion of a house off to the right, just enough to see smoke coming from a chimney to let you know that someone lives there and is staying warm inside.
theuns
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by theuns »

yeah, drooping down will work nicely ;)

i usually use the "lathe" tool a lot for wires and ropes... sweep multiple times also work well if you do it in one go, because then you can still adjust the inner edge loops individually by just selecting...

ps. do you import the trueSpace object into Vue or the Vue landscape into trueSpace?
theuns - tSer since 2000
.:| http://theunsfvo.cgarena.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
.:| http://bluestarcreations.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

theuns wrote:
ps. do you import the trueSpace object into Vue or the Vue landscape into trueSpace?
thats another how can i bust Truespace question..... :lol:
Importing Vue scenes into Truespace is like transporting an elephant in your car trunk.... ! :lol:
Nice picture Tahnoak and welcome back !
Peter
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Thanks for answering that Peter and for the welcome.. yeah, I tried to import a Vue landscape into trueSpace once.. ONCE! Didn't work out so well for me.

So, I create the objects in trueSpace and then export them as an .obj file and import them into Vue. I try to do all the UVMapping in trueSpace first too.
theuns
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by theuns »

kewl! and it kept the texturing u did in trueSpace perfectly? i've tried importing tS obj's into Vue a few years ago (Vue 6 i think) but it lost all its textures... got Vue 8 pioneer so I'll have to try it again and see how it works...

what I normally do is make a general backdrop scene in Vue, save it and use it as a image backdrop in my trueSpace scene... works pretty well but you can't have interaction between the objects and the scene shadows, lighting, obj behind scene props etc)

haven't tried with Bryce yet, bought Bryce 7.5 the other day because it was such a good price but still considering to get Vue 8 Frontier or something with a OBJ import/export add on module... will see what special prices they have when they release Vue 9 (is it just me or are they release new Vue versions very quickly these days, felt like yesterday that the brought out Vue 8)...

and talking about a farm scene, I still work on-and-off on my old wood cabin that I started almost 10 years ago [below]... busy with the furniture inside at the moment, done the kitchen and the fire place with a rug, rocking chair etc... still want to do the dining set and then the next room with the bedroom stuff before I start the outside yard like you are, but maybe i'll change the sequence i planned and start with the outside just so we can do it together and learn together [me learning to use tS obj in Vue from you ;) ]
Attachments
crusader_cabin1_.jpg
crusader_cabin1_.jpg (56.99 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
theuns - tSer since 2000
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Wow.. that is some great detail theuns.. I especially like the lighting and the late afternoon feel that it gives.

As for importing into Vue perfectly? Yes, as long as I UVMap it first using the editor in tS. I find that when I import the object into Vue I have to reduce the "Max Smoothing Angle" on the object otherwise I get dark areas on the object.

Using Vue for background generation is great. I do the same thing with Terragen sometimes. No vegetation but it can make some fantastic scenery.