My Building TSX

Gwydion
Petty Officer Second Class

My Building TSX

Post by Gwydion »

These are a few shots of my Building TSX in progress, the first is a basic, second is the same but with an alternate window style, and the third shows a 3rd window style.
More styles coming soon, along with a full set of creation/randomization features to make Cities/Buildings.

Looking for a couple Beta Testers who can look beyond obvious mistakes and give suggestions on functionality they would most like to see added first, and what they like/dislike about the interface.

For any additional questions you can reach me at words_of_kindness@yahoo.com, but please respond here for communities sake if its not personal/private/absurd. :)

xtetra

Re: My Building TSX

Post by xtetra »

Interesting idea for a plug-in. I think it could be pretty handy. :bananathumb: I'd be very happy to Beta Test it for you. PM me with the download info if you like.

Does the plug-in automatically assign textures or are they added after the fact?
Gwydion

Post by Gwydion »

Good number of Views but few replies, even a hey your buildings suck would be welcome folks :)

As to your question Xtetra...
My original idea had been to let people input general dynamics of a city

Big/Small, Modern/retro, etc and let it full auto gen, or a single building at a time etc.

Then I got to thinking, I need to implement texturing/poly tools anyhow, so there should be a "toggle-able" switch to go from fun mode (for beginners) to a full creation mode for users who know TS already.

Right now I can manually assign the pre-built in shaders from truespace to walls, windows, frames (of windows) and floors, Independantly....

I plan to go with a layerd structure approach on the app, City first, which will create X random buildings according to theme, then a Building button if you just want 1 building etc etc etc on down to a floor or window etc.

The buildings I posted were each created by my app, I took about 20 seconds to decide on the textures/shaders for each, and then it took 10 - 25 seconds to build it, and about 4 to render it. (2.5 gig machine) 3 gig memory, Windows Vista Ultimate. Truespace 6.5 (in gamespace and model side of 7.6 its alot slower due to the way it updates after each boolean cut/merge) but I think I can improve that nicely too in the final approach.

So to answer you MORE directly, Yes you can apply the shaders you like, (Right now there are only the most obvious ones loaded) plastics woods metals, bricks for buildings etc, I didn't do "brick" for windows for instance, though I can see a purpose in those. Thats why I want testers, "Hey Chad, can we get the funky green swirly texture for windows? that would be neat!.... Why sure, let me go ahead and just put everything in, etc"

Or let the user add/remove textures based on whats available to their program, including custom shaders.

There is no download link just yet, but you will find it on my homepage at http://www.chaddowell.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
when its ready, (there is 1 glaring bug I am just too ashamed of to let the program out just yet)

And it doesn't do any auto checking yet, for instance if your building is 6 units wide, and you ask for 6 windows each 2 units wide, the booleans DO get mangled badly, right now I have been working on code efficiency, and readability, as well as reliability....

and there is one feature that came from early early alpha that isn't intuitive, once I remove and fix those 2 issues it will be up at my page, :)
nigec
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by nigec »

Sorry I was one of those people who went. "ooooooooh that looks good!! :worship: :worship: " then went elsewhere, well it was sunny and the road was calling :mrgreen: !

Anyway, less of the excuses ;) seriously it looks really cool and I'll gladly help beta test, a lot of times I've wanted a built up area but just couldn't be a**ed to build them :roll:
Gwydion

Post by Gwydion »

No problem Nigec, I just thought wow, if there is that little interest perhaps I am making the wrong tool :)
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

There is always interest in new tools. Everybody in this community is really busy right now with life, downloading everything they can from the Califorums and other projects.

Just so you know, I am designing a similar tool for the workspace side for one of my projects.
ranger0101
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by ranger0101 »

Wow!! I would not have thought it possible to do such a thing with a plug in.. It is this kind of inovation that is going to add life and loggevity to TrueSpace... Rely great work. I would love to help bata test this but I cant even run TrueSpace untill I replace my dead video card on my good machine.
I can't wate to see what you come up with next.

:bananathumb: Cheers :bananathumb:

Tim K /ranger0101
In order to Create Art... You must first learn to See...
My Website http://www.theartoftimkoons.yolasite.com
Gwydion

Post by Gwydion »

v3rd3 Hey, good to hear, I was going to go workspace with it as well once I finished model side, and hoping to take it to other software platforms as well, I wish you success, in fact with the power of workspace probably fantastic success.

I have to admit some selfishness in wanting to sell the product when done, and was leary of workspace and how well I could keep my I.P. and all that.

I am an idealist I have no problem with the idea of "my work for your work" tradeoffs etc, however I do wanna eat :) and I hope to do this kind of thing for a living one day :)

Anyhow, I wish you great progress!!!
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

Don't apologize for wanting to get something in return for your efforts.
Wally
Seaman

Post by Wally »

Hey Gwydion,

That is a great idea for a plugin. Keep it coming!

Wally