trueSpace 6.6 service packs

Legacy tS 6.6
Galane
Chief Petty Officer

Re: trueSpace 6.6 service packs

Post by Galane »

trueBlue wrote:The link to the service packs are in this thread, post #1.
I am fairly certain that tS7.6 has eveythig that tS6.6 for Illistrators has including more bug fixes.
The files are not available on the page linked in the first post. That is where they used to be. The links are dead. I'd like to see them all found and made available to download for anyone who uses 6.6.
Last edited by Galane on 08 Aug 2011, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Galane,
I believe trueBlue has indicated that trueSpace 7.6 (which should be available at the link posted by v3rd3)
includes Model side, which is basically version 6.6, with all the service packs 'built in'.
Is it possible you could download that and give it a try?
Maybe you could do an online search for the SPs. Or check some of the links in this forum. For, say, DesignDevil's links,
or Emmanuel's links, or Steinie's page, clintonman, etc. They have repositories of good stuff.
I may have them on CD but they may be buried somewhere.
If you do find them, can you post a link so others can benefit? Thanks.
Galane
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Galane »

I've searched for the files many times, never have found them anywhere. The web archive only hit this page one time, back when to download you needed a user name and password, so the files aren't in archive.org.

The conversion pack 2.1 + its two service packs are still useful for model side in 7.6, but you need 6.6 installed to install the conversion pack.

If the conversion pack service packs are patches to version 2.0, then you first need tS 6.5 installed, then install the 2.1 updates. Then you can get the DLL files for 7.6 or install the 6.6 update on 6.5.

If you install conversion pack 2.0 on 6.5 then the 6.6 update it removes conversion pack 2.0!

IIRC, 6.5 had DirectX import without conversion pack 2.0 and the only way to get it back in 6.6 was with conversion pack 2.1, unless the 6.6 service packs also put DirectX import back in.

Ideally, I'd just like to get the conversion pack 2.1 installer, its service packs and the tS 6.6 service packs. If conversion pack has to go 2.0 onto 6.5 then update to 2.1 then 6.6, I'll have to make a fresh install of the whole works.

So until I can lay hands on Conversion pack 2.1, I have to keep an install of 6.5 with conversion pack 2.0 just for importing what 6.6 and 7.6 can't, to save to COB.

Fortunately, trueSpace 6.6 and below are self contained other than the user name and serial data so one can simply copy the install folder as a backup, then just make a new shortcut and re-enter the user name and serial to "reinstall" it wherever the whole thing has been copied.
Rhino169
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Rhino169 »

Ok...I'm trying to find out what I need to do to get from 6.5 to 6.6.

I have the files:
ts66SP
ts66SP2
ts66CP21SP
ts66CP21SP2

When I click on these, it gives an error which says:
Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update since contents do not match.

I remember it may be a trick I needed to perform to make it work..maybe renaming a file somewhere.....OR am I missing another upgarde file?

I also have:
tsFlash
but when I click on it, it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I have 7.6 running as well, but I want to back save some of my files to see if they will render, 7.6 seems to choke on them....they render about 1/4 of the way down then the rest goes to black. It is a rather large file.

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Jeff :mrgreen:
Galane
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Galane »

It appears that your PC needs more RAM. tS 6.x is a 32bit program so it can't use more than 4 gig for itself. To get the most out of 32bit software, run it on 64bit windows with 8 or more gigs RAM.

That way Windows can grab bunches of RAM for itself and leave plenty for 32bit software.
Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

I agree with you on the memory issue. I am running ts7.6 on a 64 bit system, however my curret motherboard is maxed out at 4Gb of RAM. The next step is to get a bigger/better computer.

I was afraid of what you were going to say.....time for an upgrade.

Still wondering on the upgrade from 6.5 to 6.6. I'd like to run some of the old stuff on 6.6 if possible.

Thanks,
Jeff :worship:
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Rhino169 I don't know why your TS 6.6 things won't install but I run TS 7.6 with XP 32 bit and 2 GB ram. TS 5 works fine for me too.

The model side of TS 7.6 is essentially TS 6.6 plus a few goodies.

Try loading your old scenes into 7.6 and saving them as *.scn or 6.6 scenes from the Save dialog type list. Then open the scene saved from 7.6 in 7.6 (model side of course) and try a render.

Bad geometry could be a problem. Try 7.6 renders with various objects deleted, especially complex ones and ones with many tools used on them. Making objects invisible might work instead of deleting but deleting is more certain.

It is possible that the 6.6 installation files you have are corrupt and just won't work.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

Finis...I'd be surprised if all the 6.6 files I have are bad...they all act the very same way and give the same error. Maybe there is something in the old truespace archives that mention the 6.5 to 6.6 upgrade. I will search there next.

As far as 7.6, I use the 6.6 portion of 7.6 all the time. I do as you mention and save my files as 6.6 always. I was hoping to save as 6.6 then open in a fresh old version of 6.6 to see if the older program would give me the same troubles. The file I am having the trouble on is 113MB with no textures. I have reduced the geometry to it's minimum to try and make things work...but I think I am at my system's limit.

I also want to use some of the older .tsx files as well on on the older ts6.6.

Thanks for your comments so far. :bananaguitar:
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Good point. All the files wouldn't be bad. 113MB? In that case maybe it is memory size. I go to older versions too when plugins don't work with new versions or I prefer the way tools work there.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

It looks like the old Caligari Forum goes back to the dawn of the 7.5 upgrade. 2006ish

I remember an even older forum .... is that older one saved somewhere?

Thanks... :ugeek: