Type the number ten into the box: 0

Message from Roman

Post by marcel »

Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Re: Message from Roman

Post by LeonRegis »

Now we have a date to when the site will be partially shutdown, also is good that he said about us :)
I hope that he'll be more active, I would like to be his friend, discuss about things and I like his vision of the world
About the last part I already knew, but is good hear that from Roman...

Cya :superbanana:
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
3dvisuals dude
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by 3dvisuals dude »

To Roman,

I firmly believe that the future of this Community can be very bright indeed, and the reason I say this is largely because we have free access to trueServe thanks to you making it available to us all on 06-01-2009, and as a Community Growth Tool, trueServe represents all we need to make this Community grow exponentially in the years ahead, with our own Community servers inter-connected worldwide.

As it is now, we have several online in the United States, one online so far in the United Kingdom, two about to come online in Germany and another about to come online in Brazil. All this has been the result of Community focus over the last few weeks, with related Community enthusiasm building momentum and driving us all to steady active collaborative development on related scripting and technical issues. We even overcame the final bug left in truePlay together as a result of all this.

The future of our Community use of shared space severs is also dependent of course to a large extent on whether the actual trueServe program will remain available to the world as a free download, whether at Microsoft's site, Caligari's site if they leave it online, or perhaps here.

If Microsoft keeps trueServe available for free download after the Caligari website/forum is taken down, just as they did with Creature House Expression after their acquisition of Creature House (and that free download is available even now at the Microsoft website all these years later), then the Community here will be able to assist entirely new Community Members to download trueServe and install it and add their own trueServer to the growing worldwide network of trueServers already beginning to be born.

On behalf of the Community here therefore, I am requesting that the trueServe program ( trueServe761B8G3.exe ) and it's manual ( trueServe_761_Manual.zip ) remain available for free download throughout 2010, and hopefully well beyond 2010.

If Microsoft decides they don't want to host the files for download, then please.... allow us, as your Community, your legacy, to host and distribute it ourselves freely.

You have had this vision of a global online collaborative community flourishing via the tools you have provided the world. Now, at long last, it is genuinely materializing all on it's own thanks to you. All we ask now is allow us to take it even farther than any of us imagined to date... make trueServe freely distributable by your Community long after the Caligari website goes offline. If it is, we will fulfill your vision fully at long last here together.

Thank you

- Mark
Image "Advantage is had from whatever is there, but usefulness arises from whatever is not." - Lao Tzu (Tao Te Ching - 500 BC) Image
Benji
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Benji »

I guess this will be the official end of modeler and 6.6. I'm not really sure why it is being removed and not the standalone version, but I think it may be the lightworks license. I'm not really sure what leaving the standalone version on it's own will achieve, but I guess it isn't hurting anyone.

Oh well, truespace 7+ may have been a failure, but it is still my 3d app of choice. Even for users that prefer modeler/ 6.6 (like me) I would point out that there are still good reasons to use workspace, including: yafaray, froo's fluids importer (which you should all buy now if you haven't already ;) ), the modeling tools and the physics simulations (which can be rendered modelside if I'm not mistaken).

There are also (obviously 8-) ) good reasons to still use modelside, and even this week there are still plugins being developed for it. I would grab it while you can, if you haven't already, I think it will have some legs yet. It also runs awesome on new hardware - getting a new pc has given 6.6/ modeler (we need a new name for this, how about 6.66? :twisted: ) a new lease of life for me, no doubt.

Anyway, it was interesting to get some news, but really it's just business as usual for truespace fans.
3dvisuals dude
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by 3dvisuals dude »

Benji wrote:6.6/ modeler (we need a new name for this, how about 6.66? :twisted: )
Image "Advantage is had from whatever is there, but usefulness arises from whatever is not." - Lao Tzu (Tao Te Ching - 500 BC) Image
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

I wish 6.6/Modeler code could get acquired by Lightworks...
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

It does appear from Roman's comments that the issue with keeping modelside alive is LW.... it is a shame ...
Roman
Seaman

Post by Roman »

Yes, Modelside is tighly integrated with Lightworks, Oh well:(

It is great to hear about new plug-ins and trueServe instalations. Forum here seems to be pretty active too. I promise to hang around here, hopefuly spending more time in the future.
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Thanks Roman, good to see you coming more here... :bananacool2:

Cya
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
BooxieMalone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by BooxieMalone »

Hi Roman,

please understand, I fully respect anybody's decisions on his intellectual property. I usually wouldn't ask and especially not ask you, our patron, who generously gave us the subject of discussion here for free.

But reading about a tightly integration of Lightworks - for which obviously any further publishing has to be stopped - appears to me at first sight a licensing problem solely and that poses to me the typical non-programmers question:

Why not simply take out Lightworks and make VirtuaLight the standard? More than ever in consideration of dribble, which also was generously released free to the community by Simon lately.

Is there anything in tS looking after LW permanently, or are there any settings of LW unalterable necessary for Modelside to work? Or is it simply the problem, that the installer would have to be changed and compilated once again?

Thanks in advance - if you would'nt mind throwing some light on this.

Regards
-BM.