Truespace Open Source?!

Maxxx
Marine
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Truespace Open Source?!

Post by Maxxx »

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but if not I'd appreciate it being moved or reposted or whatever!

I think more people would user Truespace if it were open source - just look at the Blender community.

I know Microsoft ow own it - but they have open sourced quite a lot of stuff on the past so it isn't out of the question that they would do so for Truespace...

I wonder if anyone knows anyone at MS - or has any contacts who might be able to ask at MS to see if it would be possible top open source it?

I'm just a fan - can't really use it to save my life, but come back to it every so often out of fondness! But it is no harder to learn than Blender - so why not?
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Truespace Open Source?!

Post by bitkar »

all of us wish so...
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

When Microsoft took TS off the market I wrote to their legal department to ask about open sourcing TS. No reply. The reality seems to be that TS includes proprietary code from at least one third party that would not release it. TS will never be made open source. The few developers that still work on the product are a blessing to its ongoing existance.
moogaloonie
Petty Officer Third Class

Post by moogaloonie »

So about an hour ago I thought to myself "Hmmm... I wonder if there is still anyone wanting to see trueSpace open sourced and how could one make that happen?" Caligari2 (then 24, then Broadcast) was one of the first 3D programs I used and one of my favorites. I later used trueSpace a bit also, buying versions 4 through 7.
It's not exactly that trueSpace isn't open source that people moved on, or do not give it a proper look, but rather that there is no further development (aside from plug-ins). Open sourcing it would at least make future development possible. (I for one would have loved to see more improvements to the viewport and shaders, to see it move beyond DX9... Then, as now, I do most of my modeling in Wings.)
Anyway, I know there were petitions in the past to see trueSpace open sourced. I did not know about any proprietary code that might stand in the way of such a thing, but surely this would not be a total deal breaker. That code is currently being given away in a closed form, perhaps it could be provided as a library or module released under a different license. They do not have to release it in a working form, though of course that would be preferable. But it is possible for them to release any code they have the legal right to do so.
The blender community have dealt with similar problems making plug-ins for blender based on non-GPL code. Point is, things have changed dramatically since trueSpace was shelved, as evidenced by Microsoft themselves now having multiple versions of Linux. Perhaps they could be made to see it as a PR move, a way of drawing more attention to their "goodwill/good faith". People come and go there, and corporate strategies are ever changing. I think this is something that we should never give up on until we succeed by way of determination or random chance. And here's what made me think of it:
https://news.slashdot.org/story/22/05/0 ... -from-1995
Anyone up to the challenge?
You may call me moogaloonie, moogal, or moog. Please don't call me moo, gal, or galoonie.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

shame that Roman is not looking in here... he would know if its possible or there is still some 3rd party code.
Michal aka bitkar
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

bitkar wrote: 17 May 2022, 19:32 shame that Roman is not looking in here... he would know if its possible or there is still some 3rd party code.
My guess would be the Lightworks render engine/License
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

thats what I think... thats because there was that plain Workspace trueSpace with no renderer other than DX9.
Michal aka bitkar
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

No i dont think so ! Its impossible !
I´m 99 % sure its the problem link editor....shared spaces thing !
Its the reason very probably TS was aquired by MS !
It holds very vital patents.. for Windows 10 and above !
Making open source needs the scource code to be opened.. well nope not going to happen !
Thats the reason I´m also so angry !
Ts until TS 6 for me was fantastic ! To be honest it helped
me get started into 3d.. and yes all the people here that come together since around 2002 !
Its also the part of MS windows 10 and above that allows to build international
clusters which in itself isnt bad..if used for good stuff..... but the clusters and the american law since
1970 which gives the corporations the rights over your data is the
worst thing ever !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

To think I helped finance that makes me sick ! To see people like Trueblue and Clinton
keeping the software alive :worship: :worship: while we could have TS 9 by now with
loads of great features.... aghhhhhhhhh ! sigh ! :(
You two people are keeping the old spirit alive while I keep
p.... over Microstuff !
Did I say Linux forever ! :lol: and blender...and open source.....andthe american constitution.... ;)