trueSpace can't boolean my object !

Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: trueSpace can't boolean my object !

Post by Emmanuel »

bitkar wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 17:35 dont want to spoil the fun, but why didnt you do it in the 2D vector software to be cut out like that? :) and you could only extrude it in tS and thats it.
Because Affinity Designer's AI export creates plain curves : when imported in trueSpace the holes in the main object become curves, not holes.
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

Just wanted to add that using Heal vertices and Clinton's Fix Bad Geometry's - Delete Floating points was needed using Clinton's Domino PreBool.RsScn before performing Boolean subtract and Boolean intersect
marcel
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by marcel »

truespace doesn't like holes in a polygon !
if you have Moi3d, you can import illustrator or pdf file and extrude. Export the result in obj.
The advantage is that Moi3d will automatically create lines so that each hole is separated.
TrueSpace imports the result very well and there will be no problem.

here is an example of transforming an illustrator file to trueSpace (model side).
Attachments
truespaces.jpg
Illustrator.jpg
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

Emmanuel wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 19:37 Because Affinity Designer's AI export creates plain curves : when imported in trueSpace the holes in the main object become curves, not holes.
A seemingly elegant solution for the punching (realized only with standard functions of tS) is to use the "Curve to patch projection" button in tS7.61 Model side. A 2D curve can be used for trimming the surface of a 3D NURBS, so we can make the shape by trim a NURBS plain (simple rectangle) bypassing the uncertain Boolean operations in this way.
1a.jpg
Alas, :o however, the executing time is toooooooo long. It will take 10 minutes to trim the main object (and when you load from the saved scene with the projection)!

Steps: Load the .ai file in to Model side, unglue all objects, add a NURBS plain, enlarge it to enough size, use the main object (frame) to trim outside of the NURBS plain, use other 2D curves to trim inside, and lastly extrude the punched NURBS as a polyhedron (At this time, some procedure may be necessary to remove the triangles on the top and bottom faces).
borgcone ... or 3DfromNULL at https://biglode.com/ptsxpy
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Blender does Booleans well and has various ways to cut meshes. Even if you want to stay with TS you could import/export between them for complex or slow Booleans and such.

Useful note: If you do use Blender for Booleans be aware of the setting for fast or precise. Sometimes fast works better than precise.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

Finis wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 18:00 Blender ... TS ... import/export between them ...
In relation to that, one of the important routes with free-tool-only is; Inkscape --> Draw 2D surface (closed path) filled in black --> .svg --> Blender --> Convert to mesh --> Edit Mode --> Select All by trait --> Extrude region --> export to a .stl --> tS7.61 Model.

Some unfilled or non-black surface often causes problem like reversed-normal when it's imported in tS. You can remove unnecessary triangles on upper/bottom face in tS scene by Boolean intersection with a cube with shorter height in order to make a pure N-sided prism. Such a prism for a drill reduces error at another boolean operations (as someone wrote).

If Emmanuel's objects can be exported to a .svg, this way may also help whether the boolean is done in Blender or not.
borgcone ... or 3DfromNULL at https://biglode.com/ptsxpy